10- Slughorn

Draco didn't bother pretending he'd spent the night at home, but instead flew around on his broomstick, trying to think. For some reason, his mind worked best when he was in the air, and at that moment, he tried to make the most of it.

Astoria should not continue taking the poison, because if she did, she would die. The problem was that if she didn't, she would die too, and he was sure that the earl would destroy any trace of the potion as soon as the wedding took place. So, he had no time to waste. But he couldn't think of anything.

He became desperate. Once upon a time, the solution would have been within reach. He would have talked to his old teacher, Snape, and he would have taken care of everything. But Snape was dead, and he couldn't waste time thinking about what would have happened if he hadn't.

But there was another person who could help him, he remembered. Professor Slughorn had heard about that drug and had told him in detail about it. Maybe he could help them.

Draco turned his broom and headed towards the place where the professor had sent him his letter.

Since the end of the war, Slughorn had dared to live in a house of his own, albeit a very well protected one. Draco managed to find it after flying over the area for a while, and very carefully, he landed in the garden. Nothing happened, and that gave him confidence. He wanted to knock on the door, but found it open, and he dared to enter the house, very carefully.

"Professor Slughorn?" he called. "Professor Slughorn, I need to speak with you."

Then something hit him from behind, and before he could react, Draco found himself hanging upside down, spinning around.

"You better tell me who you are, young man, and don't even think about trying to lie to me," said Slughorn, from somewhere.

"Professor, I'm Draco Malfoy," he answered, still spinning in the air. "I need your help, it's urgent."

"My help? And how do I know I can trust you?"

"I don't mean to do anything to you, I swear," Draco shouted. He was getting dizzy. "A person is going to die, and you can prevent it. You have to listen to me!"

Slughorn stopped him and came a little closer to him.

"What are you saying, boy?"

"The potion I asked you about, the Dream of Death, he is using it, and she is going to die, sir, and I can't think of anyone else who-"

"Stop, stop," the teacher interrupted him. He decided to leave Draco on the ground, although he did not stop pointing his wand at him. "Let's go by parts, what are you talking about?"

Draco tried to regain his balance, and then began to speak. He told him everything, from the wedding plans to how the earl had poisoned Astoria. For once, Slughorn listened to him without interrupting him.

"...and yesterday he forced her to drink a much larger dose than she was used to, and now Astoria is as good as dead," Draco spoke quickly, trying to be as clear as possible. "And she will die, professor, if we don't do something. You are the only person who can help us, sir," he added, pleadingly. Slughorn looked at him in complete amazement.

"Boy, you have left me speechless," he admitted. "I do not know what to tell you. This matter is very worrying, but you are burdening me with a great responsibility. I don't know if I'm the best one for-"

"You're the only one who can do anything," Draco insisted. "Please! My parents don't believe me, and the earl is determined to kill her if necessary. I don't know who else to turn to!"

"Okay, okay," Slughorn relented, overwhelmed by the boy's insistent pleas. Deep down, his sensitive and proud character had overcome his misgivings. Knowing that he could be the hero of the story had pushed him to want to collaborate. "I will try to make an antidote to counteract the effect of the potion. But I need a sample of that poison. Any variation in its preparation could determine the components of the antidote."