9- The party

Draco had gotten some sleep, but it hadn't improved his mood. He couldn't forget the anguish of the previous night, and he wondered how Astoria was doing at that moment.

He dressed and prepared himself carefully for the party, even though he hated having to go, and he feigned an absolute calm that he was far from feeling. To cheer himself up, he thought about the happy parts of the previous night.

He remembered the card game, and the pillow fight. And above all, the kisses he had shared with Astoria. And how everything had been going well until dawn, when he had almost fallen asleep with Astoria in his arms. He felt tingly at the thought of Astoria, curled up on his chest, and smiled happily.

"Son, you are in the clouds," Lucius told him. Draco was startled, having not seen him come to his side. His father laughed at him. "Don't worry, these parties don't usually last long. Our suffering will not be eternal," since the end of the war, Lucius tried to spend more time with his wife and son, and that is why he was there, getting ready with him, even though he had two complete dressing rooms.

Of course, Lucius knew nothing of his son's fears, and he hummed excitedly as he tied a scarf around his neck.

"By the way, your mother and I have talked," he commented. "We both agree that you shouldn't marry Pansy if you don't want to," he looked at his son through the reflection of the mirror. "But we think it's best not to say anything until after your wedding to the countess. The Parkinsons could react unpredictably, and we prefer that they find out about our decision when we have all our businesses closed."

Draco knew that his father enjoyed planning and scheming with anything. For Lucius everything was like a game of chess, and he loved to play. His future wedding, or the business with the Parkinsons, were only one of the many things he was dedicated to.

Narcissa peeked around the door.

"Are you ready?" she asked them. "We are going to arrive late."

"Good things take time," Lucius replied, with a smug smile. "They are the ones who want to be related to us, right? Well, let them wait."

"Lucius, behave yourself," she scolded him, although she smiled amused.

"Have you heard your mother? We must be polite with those who are going to beg us."

"Don't be ridiculous," Narcissa approached them, and in a clever and fun move, she managed to monopolize the mirror for herself. Her elegance and the naturalness of her manner made it seem like a totally casual gesture. "I think the Parkinsons are lovely and come from a great family."

"And I believe, my dear, that you are the biggest liar in history," Lucius smiled. He grabbed his wife by the hips and rested his chin on her shoulder. Since Narcissa was very tall, he didn't have to bend down too far. "In any case, they will do everything possible to join a family better than their own."

"Lucius!"

"Do you think I'm exaggerating? See for yourself tonight," he laughed. "I've already told Draco that the Parkinsons can do anything. If I were you, I would be very careful with Pansy tonight," he told his son.

"Lucius, don't be vulgar," Narcissa protested.

"You know I'm right, dear. You know as well as I do that that girl is as ambitious as her parents. And you know one thing? I'm surprised she hasn't tried to get pregnant or something like that to ensure her engagement," Draco felt himself turning red, and turned around so his parents wouldn't see him through the reflection. "Don't look at me like that, my love," he said to his wife. "You also think she would be able to do it."

"Don't say any more nonsense," she replied, trying to get serious. "Pansy is a very sensible girl."

"I praise your composure, Cissa," Lucius proclaimed. Narcissa turned to look at his face. "Don't try so hard to say what you don't think. You know perfectly well that they covet that county, even more than we do."