8- The game

"Draco, Draco!" he woke up with a start, not knowing where he was or what time it was. Narcissa was shaking him. "Why are you still sleeping? It's after twelve!"

Draco looked around.

His room, he was in his room.

"I thought I told you I was going to Diagon Alley today," Narcissa said. "Don't you remember? You said you wanted to come with me," Draco rubbed his face, unable to suppress a yawn. "My son, what about those dark circles? What have you been doing at night?"

And then Draco remembered. The cemetery. Astoria. They had stayed talking all night, lying on her bed. At dawn they had opened the curtains, letting the sunlight in, and Astoria had smiled.

"Nothing, mother, I stayed late reading," he lied. Narcissa did not suspect him, but looked at him indulgently and ruffled his hair.

"I can go alone, if you want."

"No, mother, I want to go. Just give me a minute."

He finished waking up with a cold shower and dressed in a hurry. Narcissa was waiting for him sitting calmly, without leaving aside the elegance that characterized her.

They moved to the Leaky Cauldron using floo powder, and then they were walking through Diagon Alley. They had gone to pick up some robes that they had ordered for the following night. The Parkinsons were celebrating their daughter's birthday with a huge party, and they couldn't miss it.

Of course, Pansy would be Draco's obligatory partner, which made him very unhappy. It seemed in bad taste that the Parkinsons took for granted that the courtship between Pansy and Draco was still valid, and besides, after what had happened the day before, Draco had less desire than ever to see her.

In the store he waited on the stool while the dressmaker put the finishing touches on the tunic. He was very tired, having barely slept, and when he looked in the mirror, he was surprised to see his deep circles under his eyes. Still, he smiled. It had been worth it.

He remembered how he had felt while talking to Astoria. His stomach was tickling in a curious but pleasant way, and despite how sleepy he felt, he just wanted to be there, with her, lying next to her and whispering in the candlelight.

And they had talked a lot: about their lives, their friends, their dreams. They discovered that they had many things in common, and that they thought alike. Astoria had a great sense of humor, and she had made him laugh like never before.

And Draco had not forgotten the immense desire he had had to kiss her.

"There you are, handsome. What do you think?" the dressmaker asked him, breaking him out of his reverie.

Draco looked at his outfit and had to admit that it was perfect. The tunic's fabric had a very dark blue color and was adorned with embroidery of small silver snakes.

He would have liked Astoria to see him.

***

That night Draco showed up earlier than ever at the earl's castle. Astoria was waiting for him, combing her long brown hair. She smiled as soon as she saw him, and that gesture made his knees tremble.

Draco never ceased to be surprised by how sincerely Astoria was happy to see him. He was used to people pretending that they liked his company, and that beautiful smile on Astoria's innocent face was enough to make him forget about the tiredness he felt.

"I brought you a gift," he said, showing the backpack he was carrying. "Well, actually there are several gifts."

Her eyes widened, surprised. "Why? You didn't have to bring me anything."