Afar The Bell Toll

Dream of a serpentress
Grows stronger and mightier
When drifted ashore
As there once was a silver
Prone to the feeling,
Of storm uprise,
May then be the light of heart
Guide somebody safe to shore!
~—~—~—~—~—~—~
— Distant Bells —

It was not because the ocean was late to Zeta's evenings, but rather because she had specifically walked too early for the mocking yellow sun to part slowly from the horizon lines.

It was not because she wanted to see the way the cloudy skies itself danced along the late ocean tides, nor did she wanted to see how seagulls flew in big whistling chunks, leaving the sea surface with either fishes or emptiness in its sharp claws.

She was here to hear the sound of a present, a gift, which was there for only her to savor. Given to her since years and years ago, too long in the past to keep count on.

She stopped counting how much she had heard it echoing in her ears, both humane, and non.

Simple as it was to pull out her digits and start counting up or counting down, it was the difficulty of understanding such a miracle that had happened. As if the string of fate had mocked her sense of time, peculiarly sweeter in the bitterness.

The parching sun was warm in a way that she thought she could touch it, feel the heat caressing directly on her palm. Emotion that bursted into serene views of numerous shadows of birds that flew in flock, accompanied by the sense of greatness splashed by the school of fishes — it went splish, splosh, splish, splosh.

There was the same old lighthouse where her eyes grew tired. It was red on the bottom half and white on the upper top, with a hint of mystery etched into it. The uptop of it was under a sturdy roof that experienced heavy storms and rainfalls up until now. It was family.

She dragged her lazy foot along the sandy beach, trampling on dirtiness which was clean and clear and pure. The glistening reflection of herself that came into her view when she took a meek peek down the laziness of the sea, amplified by the lonesome sunlight.

Evening was the time that everybody preferred to stay indoors, but not her.

For she had an important job to do, every time the evening was coaxed in this particular tint of orange. There was also, in no possible explanation, why it had to be this specific type, which she didn't mind a single damn thing about.

It was a view unlike any other day, this time, what made her eyes squinted in uncontained joy. A smile breaching up her roof of left cheek, warm as ray. The chilly sea breeze was helping significantly.

But she couldn't waste her precious, precious time. She had to keep going, it was the sign of the time.

It was her turn to ring the lighthouse's bell.

________________

Distant Bells

...

The good thing about living in a maritime town was that there were significantly less people, less fusses. Most people loved cities, where conveniences were all within easy reach. Which she found was obviously not her cup of tea.

Simplicity was her vibe. She adored the easiness in life: catching fishes, playing along the beach sands, talking to her neighbors, no big spending, nothing much to lose, no worries of stress, works which were easy to complete, and generally, just existing. She was careless, free to roam anywhere until the end of this town's border.