Lucy Bronze x Reader (18)

Lucy was sitting on the floor next to the tv, plugging the HDMI cord back in. She'd just grumbled at her mum about the embarrassing videos but decided to accept it as she seemed so excited, and Lucy knew YFN would enjoy it. Watching her girlfriend interact with her family brought her happiness she didn't know she craved.

"Try that now, mum. HDMI one."

She found herself staring out at her little Australian, laughing with Charis as she helped Freddie with his Lego. He got excited as he played, leaning back into her and giggling. God, the sight of her with kids filled her heart.

"Lucy?" Her mum asked, like it wasn't the first time she'd called her name.

"Hm?" She replied, only looking towards her mum when she didn't get a response.

Her mum gave her a look that said she knew what she was thinking. Lucy didn't try to hide the emotions clearly written on her face as she turned back outside to YFN.

"It's her, mum. She's... she's it."

Diane looked outside and then looked back in towards Lucy.

"She's the one."

"I know she is." Her mum said softly.

Lucy looked to the older woman, surprised. "How?"

"I see you two around each other. You complement each other well, and I don't think I've ever seen you so... yourself. Not even around Keira."

Lucy thought about this a little as Jorge agreed with their mum. "We all saw the way she handled you after the game, sis. No one has been able to understand you like that."

She'd remembered that day. Fuck, she'd been so mad. When YFN had walked into the room, she was nervous she'd snap at her, push her away, but she'd done exactly what Lucy had wanted. She'd given her all the space she needed but had stayed close enough to give her support. YFN was always doing that, giving Lucy what she didn't even know she needed or craved.

"It's so different with her. She feels like home to me." Her mum and brother were quiet. They knew it was a rarity for Lucy to open up. "I'm not looking forward to leaving her when I go back to Barca, and I know it's selfish to ask..." She looked at her big brother. "...but I need you to be there for her while I'm gone if she needs you. I need that peace of mind. And with everything that's happened.. I... I just need to know you can get to her if she needs it."

Usually Jorge would say something smart, or tease her, but not now. "Of course, Luce. And for what it's worth, I think she's great."

"We all do." Her mum encouraged, gripping onto Joaquim. Lucy smiled at her family as her mum turned her attention back to the tv. "Ohh, this is exactly the video I wanted."

Lucy watched YFN as her dimpled smile turned surprised and awkward, and then she was frowning. She turned to Lucy with a bit of emotion crossing her eyes. Hesitancy? Jealousy? Sadness? Lucy was moving toward her before she knew she was. She was up and walking across the lawn, sitting down next to YFN and Freddie as Charis was showing her phone to Alzira. She giggled at the phone before Charis took it away, waving.

"Thanks for that, Keira. Talk later."

Lucy's stomach dropped a little. She looked to YFN who's head was bowed, focussing heavily on lego with Freddie while her hair curtained her face so it was hard to see her expression. She was yet to introduce them, planning on doing it when YFN arrived in Spain. She reached out to tuck her hair behind her ear and noticed her expression was a little too neutral. She was thinking.

"I think mum is ready to show us those videos.."

Though the sentence was aimed at YFN, Charis nodded and stood, not realising what she'd done. "Okay, let's go inside! Leave the legos here – no Freddie – Freddie leave it and come with me, baby."