Lucy Bronze x Reader (4)

"Nooo. You said we'd go!" YFN said to Jordan, raising an eyebrow. They'd just arrived and were still sitting in the car, however YFN had noticed that Jordan's lower lip was beginning to quiver.

"Yes, yes alright. Let me just pull myself together."

YFN turned in her seat to face her. "We are..?"

Jordan took a deep breath and turned to YFN. "Strong independent women."

"Who know how to...?

"Who know how to set boundaries for our own mental health."

"I'm honestly so proud of you for remembering that, Dory."

Jordan grinned at that name and YFN felt more and more like she'd gained a little sibling during her trip overseas.

They high-fived and made their way to dinner. They entered the restaurant and immediately started heading for the loudest area there. Lucy spotted them first, her attention had been on the door waiting for them for the past half hour. She stood and gestured to the seats next to her. They spotted Leah further up the table and Jordan gave a polite wave. YFN noticed Leah was wondering at who she was, having been at the game with her ex and now at dinner. YFN returned a small smile to her and ducked down to whisper in Jordan's ear.

"Safe word is pineapples. If I hear you say that, we leg it."

Jordan turned to her and laughed heartedly at that, grabbing her new friend's arm as they both hung off each other giggling. They reached their seats and Lucy's heart skipped a beat as they came close, her best friend and her new friend still bantering. Before YFN could choose a seat, Jordan sat next to Lucy and she ended up between her and Jorge.

Dinner was great, YFN met most of the players and so many more friends and family members. She spoke with Jorge and his wife a lot during the night and they actually got on quite well. Half-way through dinner, Jorge's son offered a chicken nugget to YFN in exchange for some more chips. She more than willingly made the trade and took a bite of it.

"You're a monster." Lucy stated across Jordan.

YFN turned to her, hiding a smile. "It was a fair trade."

"Not that... no sauce? Just a dry nugget? Unbelievable."

YFN laughed and Lucy was proud of herself for making her. "Oh, well I don't have any..."

Before she could finish, the footballer was reaching over Jordan and putting condiments down in front of her. So many condiments.

"Alright you two, jeez, just switch with me YFN, I need to spend some time with Jorge and the kids anyways."

"Thanks Dory!"

Jorge laughed loudly at that. "Dory? Ha! Perfect! Why didn't I think of that?"

They switched seats and there was immediate tension between her and Lucy, but it wasn't unwelcome.

"So...what do you suggest? I'm usually a big aioli girl."

"Of course you don't know a good sauce, you Australians are so behind the times. All those pretty beaches and no care in the world."

"Heeey don't you start on my country. I'll fight you if I have to." Her eyes flicked down to Lucy's bicep and she noticed, holding it out and flexing for her.

"Good luck, little one."

Something shifted then...or rather it intensified. Lucy's nickname caught her off-guard and she was suddenly forgetting how to breath.