#8 The Unraveling Shadows

The news shook me in ways I didn't expect. The image I had of my father, based on my mother's stories, was now distorted by Korn's revelation. The pieces of the puzzle began to fit together in a way I couldn't ignore.

"Vegas, this is... this is madness. My mother always told me my father died in a car accident. I had no idea Korn was my father," I said, incredulity still present in my voice.

Vegas observed my reaction with a serious expression. "I understand this is hard to absorb, Pete. Korn might be lying, but we need to consider all possibilities."

Confusion swirled in my mind as I tried to process the twist. "Why would he wait until now to reveal this? And why didn't you tell me earlier?"

Vegas sighed, choosing his words carefully. "I didn't know, Pete. Korn only mentioned it yesterday. And I hesitated to tell you earlier because I wanted to be sure, needed to understand the situation better."

The feeling of betrayal began to mix with the confusion inside me. "So, what do we do now?"

Determination grew within me as I processed the revelation about my father. The need to seek the truth was irresistible, and I knew I could only find answers by talking to my grandmother.

"Vegas, I need to go to my grandmother. She's the only one who can tell me the truth about my father," I declared, staring intently at Vegas.

He frowned, concern evident in his eyes. "Pete, I understand, but I can't let you go alone, especially now that Korn is looking for you. We don't know what he's capable of."

I nodded, understanding the validity of his concern, but the urgency to uncover the truth compelled me. "Vegas, I know this is risky, but I need answers. I can't delay this any longer. My grandmother might be the only person who can clarify everything."

Vegas sighed, clearly torn between concern for my safety and understanding my need to seek the truth. "Pete, I can't let you go alone, but I also can't stop you from seeking answers. Let's do this: we'll go together, but we'll take precautions. We'll make sure we're one step ahead of Korn."

The solution proposed by Vegas seemed reasonable, and I nodded, thanking him for his understanding.

Together, we began to outline a plan for the visit to my grandmother. We were aware that Korn might be watching our every move, so we decided to proceed with caution. The truth was in front of us, but we were also aware of the dangers it could bring.

In the days that followed, Vegas and I intensified our training, knowing that the threat of Korn still loomed over us.

The tense atmosphere in the mafia only deepened, but the desire to uncover the truth about my father and protect ourselves continued to drive us. Every move, every strategy, was now executed with sharp precision. Vegas, as always, led with determination, turning training into a deadly dance where skill and strategy were crucial. Under his guidance, I strove to hone my combat skills, knowing that the impending battle would demand the best from us.

"You're improving, Pete," Vegas commented, his voice marked by satisfaction. We were in the center of the makeshift ring, surrounded by the electric aura of our combined efforts.

Vegas's normally serious expression during training now carried a spark of recognition. I knew I had evolved under his guidance, but a sense of urgency persisted in me, fueled by the quest for the truth about my father.

In the heat of the simulated battle, Vegas attacked me with calculated ferocity. Our bodies intertwined in a chaotic dance, each move planned and executed with precision. I felt the energy pulsating through me, adrenaline heightening every sense.