Chapter 21

Morning of the 75th Hunger Games

The day arrives.

I've learned everything I can, and improved every part that needed fixing. I'm doing my best to convince myself that all will be well. This is where it all matters, this is where everything we've been through will be used to free us.

I don't look back as I exit my home, because chances are I'll never see it again. I don't know if Seven will still be standing once Snow realizes what we've done, I don't know if I'll want to return even if it is around after we defeat him.

If.

District Seven waits for us, a crowd of people staring up and both afraid and thankful because their children are spared for a year but what does it mean for us? They don't hate us. They pity us, they are angry with us, and that's exactly what we need them to do. I walk confidently to the stage of the Justice Building with Blight and Johanna behind me. Our part of today's plan is simple. If my name is called, I will go into the Quarter Quell. If Johanna's is called, I will volunteer. There is no debating. Johanna has not argued about it for an instant.

I wonder if she'd change her mind at all if she knew the truth.

A part of me wonders if I should at least find a way to imply it to Blight. But all I can imagine is his disappointed and hurt face, because he'd have wanted to know sooner, he'd have wanted to protect me from this. I don't want to place another burden on his shoulders so I choose to stay silent.

It's hard to remember my family these days. I think back to my first Reaping and I find the memories are blurred. I can't remember how Gretya wore her hair that day. I don't remember what dress Daupha chose for me. I don't recall what Fletcher, Misha, and Devan said to me when we said goodbye, not knowing it would be forever.

Everything has changed and I wonder if they'd be proud of me. I'd like to believe so. They deserved to live in the world we'll make when we crush Snow, when our rebellion spreads its wings and burns down everything he holds dear with the fire Katniss Everdeen has had raging all over the country.

This Reaping is simple. There are two slips in the female bowl and one in the male. Rupalia is quiet, so utterly unenthusiastic as she withdraws Blight's name. From the other bowl she draws mine. I don't need to volunteer at all and though Johanna seems to be fighting the urge to stay something because she thinks it's the right thing to do, she remains quiet.

Once more I am fated to be here. Once more I made the decision beforehand and maybe I've overestimated my ability to handle this.

We watch the other Reapings on the train, and I take mental notes to compare with what I expected from our planning with Plutarch.

Gloss and Cashmere are reaped in One. No one volunteers for them– it doesn't matter how bloodthirsty these Victors are, they don't want to go back into the arena. The only volunteer that strikes me is Brutus from Two, who volunteers for Iason. Enobaria is reaped alongside him, and she bares her teeth at the cameras, razor sharp as ever.

Beetee and Wiress are reaped in Three. It likely means Maccal and Delta will be helping Plutarch on the outside so they can break into the arena and get us all out without Snow being able to pursue. Finnick is reaped, and afterwards Annie's name is called. Wordlessly, Mags volunteers in her place, before Annie can begin to go hysterical.

I hope she will be alright. I don't know if she'll be able to bring herself to come to the Capitol as a mentor. She might stay in Four, which might make it harder for her to be evacuated. She doesn't know about the plan, there's no way she'll know that being here is better. Plutarch will have to find a way to get her to Thirteen safely.