Abhir

"Ma, I can't do this anymore. Sorry papa, ma, I just simply can't take all of this pressure anymore. I need out.", a desperate Abhir pleaded in front of his parents.

Abhir was born 23 years ago in the prestigious family of Mehras. All of them celebrated lawyers. The tradition started right in the pre-independence era with Abhir's great-grandparents. Even the spouses wedded into the family and out of the family were lawyers. It just had to be that way.

"What are you saying Abhir? Care to elaborate?", Antara Mehra spoke in a stern tone.

"You know that ma. You and papa very well knew I had never wanted to be a lawyer. I had always wanted to study medicine and research more about it. But then our family happened. I did as I promised or rather as you forced me to promise. Became a lawyer. But now, I can't take this anymore. It's just enough.", Abhir spoke in a determined tone. His eyes screamed frustration and helplessness.

"Oh, so again we come back to square one. What about the family name huh, Abhir? The family in which you have been fortunate enough to be born? Now, shut your nonsense and join me or your mom tomorrow in the office. I think you should proceed with the criminal cases. My son should be known as the best criminal lawyer in the country. A new jewel in the family's treasure.", Prithivi Mehra spoke with a complete disregard for the words Abhir had very vehemently spoken.

"So that's what it is always about huh? Family, family name, your son, grandpa's grandson, the Mehra heir. That's it? Just that's my identity? Another lawyer produced by the oh-so-great Mehra family? That's the only way to make you proud? What about my dreams, my ambitions, and what I want? Why is it always about what y'all want? What about me?", Abhir cried out in exasperation, screaming out the last part aloud.

It had always been the same with every Mehra kid. Complete the 10th grade, then the 12th in Arts and the LLB. The later generations went for LLM too, and be a lawyer all their life, marry another lawyer and make their children too, a lawyer. No other way.

Abhir had always had a keen interest in studying Science, especially Biology and Chemistry and how these sciences related to the living things and beings around them. He tried to convince his parents for allowing him to continue with Science in 12th which was accepted with a lot of hesitance and convincing. But after the 12th, it had to be LLB. In fact, he was forced to promise to complete LLB or be disowned. Being an underage kid, he had to go with LLB.

But now that he received his degree today, he simply needed to stop this show. He just wanted to get out of the clutches of what he had always been expected to do and wished to live of his free will. And today, he was determined to take the reigns of his life in his own hands, come what may.

"Stop shouting Abhir. What hasn't this family done for you? The Mehra name you are looking down upon is the very reason for your existence. Or have you forgotten that? And about your dreams, just go read a science novel in your free time. Your dad wanted to be an artist. But look at him now, the best criminal lawyer in the entire country. He knew painting all day was not a career choice and he chose the Mehra family name and legacy in front of his momentary whims and wishes. Can't you do the same? And stop throwing tantrums like a kid. You need to start looking into your first case from tomorrow.", Antara reprimanded him coldly.

Abhir smiled bitterly and then, he started chuckling. A humourless chuckle reverberated through the walls.

"My dear ma and papa. This was exactly what I had predicted. This, your cold response. The same uncaring attitude. The same unimpressed demeanour. Now, just like Antara Mehra had sacrificed her dream of being a cop and Prithvi Mehra had sacrificed his dream to be an artist, puppet Abhir Mehra needs to sacrifice and forgo all of his dreams. That's what you want and that's what they want right? But now, it's enough, all of these things. Since I have been 6, I have been fending for myself in the hostel because you had been kind enough to drive me away. Yes, you paid for my education and made sure of all the luxury, but you were never my family. In fact, those nannies and domestic help all around were more of a family than you ever were. So now, guess what? Disown me all you want. Throw me out of this gigantic mansion, but here I set out to follow my dreams. And, don't give me that family name lecture, I have already had it for a lifetime. By the way, if you do not want to associate with a loser like me, I am ready to let go of the prestigious Mehra surname at this instant.", Abhir stated, his eyes and face devoid of all emotions.

Prithvi's gaze softened for a moment listening to Abhir's words and something akin to guilt flashed on his face. He was about to speak when Antara thundered furiously, " And then what are you going to do without us? Be on the streets? What do you have in your hands other than the LLB degree which you prefer to detest so much?"

She mocked him with a snort.

"Dear ma, for being one of the smartest lawyers in the country, you surely do miss out on a lot of points. While studying law, I completed my bachelor's in Biology and Chemistry via distance learning. I have completed a thesis and published two research papers which have gotten me a full scholarship in the US, by the way, Ivy league ha. So now, off I go to the US.", Abhir stated with sincere pride in his voice. He had finally won. Yes, it had come the hard way, but he did achieve what he wanted.

Listening to his words, Antara had a shocked expression plastered on her face while Prithvi had a proud smile.

Abhir was confused seeing his father's expression.

"I am proud of you my son, so proud. You did what I could never do. You were brave enough to not take after your father's cowardice. So proud of you.", Prithvi stated with glassy eyes and the most sincere beam on his face. Abhir had never seen his father behaving this way, the way a father does. This moment made him feel like a normal son for at least once in his life.

Abhir's expression softened. He could see and feel his father's sincerity in his gaze. Yes, he was astounded and a part of him gladdened too. Meanwhile, Antara Mehra was an entirely different case. Despite having been a part of this family only after being married to Prithvi, she was more of a Mehra than a Prithvi. Or at least, she proved that today.

She stared at Prithvi, "What are you speaking about? Did dad dearest lose his brain along with son? Instead of bringing him on the right path, you choose to let him be astray?", she screamed.

"Just shut it Antara. You must be proud of our son. He is all that we never could be. Courageous. Let the boy at least now lead his life as he wants.", Prithvi almost reprimanded her.

He turned towards Abhir.

"Son, I have never been the father you wanted. In fact, I should not even be called one. I know nothing of your likes, and dislikes, about the person you are. And I am ashamed. I am not saying that now I got a chance to make this right, but yes, I would so love to make it all right if you allow me to. But son, go, live your life sweetheart. Your dad is with you."

Prithvi took Abhir into the most unexpected embrace. Abhir stiffened initially but then relaxed and revelled for the first time in his father's affection.

"You may lose the Mehra family today and perhaps, forever. But my dear, remember, you now have a dad, always standing by your side firmly. Go to the US, and be the person you have always wanted to be. I am with you.", Prithvi spoke in a gentle yet determined tone.

The tears brimming in Abhir's eyes and now found a way out.

"Papa, no I am not losing any family. In fact, I had just been with people all my life and today, I got for myself, a family. Who said a family has to have a lot of people? It just has to have those people who genuinely care for you, love you unconditionally and respect you. And today, I feel that I found all of this in you. Thank you, Papa. I love you, a lot.", Abhir spoke softly, his voice cracking towards the end and then tightly hugged his father.

"I love you too my son. I will always be with you. That's my promise.", Prithvi replied.

That's what family is all about, acceptance, love, respect, trust, and affection and fortunately, Abhir found one today in his dad.

So, how was this?

Do let me know in your comments!

And don't forget to VOTE and share!!

See you later :)