United by the Exes

"I had a really fruitful conversation with you today, Mr. Mehta. I will have a discussion with the MD and let you know about the further plans of the merger.", saying so, Amyra professionally smiled at Mr. Mehta, an expression which she had mastered after years in the corporate world and started to leave. Amyra worked as the Marketing head in Neon Enterprises, a reputed startup which had now gained an immense popularity in Delhi. She was already exasperated and extremely exhausted following the meeting with Mr. Mehta and was in a terrible need of a vacation. As always, she had overworked herself. She wondered about the time when she was free, cheerful, bubbly, full of life.

She was walking in the lobby of the restaurant towards the exit thinking about what had gone wrong after her ex-boyfriend Tanmay dumped her. A mere thought of him was enough to leave a bitter taste in her mouth. Shaking her head, as though reminding herself to let go off his thoughts, she walked towards the reception area. Just then, she heard someone calling out her name.

"Heyy Amy!! Long time no see!"

There stood in front of her in his full glory, her pathetic excuse of an ex-boyfriend, Tanmay Khanna. He was standing as though he was genuinely, pleasantly surprised seeing Amyra. Earlier, that nickname, Amy, which used to give her butterflies now made her cringe. Besides Tanmay, was standing a young woman, she noted.

"Think of the devil and there he stands. Jerk.", Amyra muttered to herself and plastering a saccharine smile on her face, went towards them.

"Hi Tanmay. How are you?", replied Amyra, in an unenthusiastic tone.

"Oh Amy, I am as wonderful as I can ever be. Just got married you see." shrieked Tanmay with overwhelming enthusiasm in his voice.

'As if he has won the Nobel Prize. What did I ever see in this man?', Amyra thought to herself, now vexed by his fake face.

"Oh really. That's wonderful. Congratulations.", Amyra replied in a tone which clearly conveyed fake enthusiasm. She passed an equally fake smile to the lady standing beside Tanmay, who she noted, seemed as sham as him.

"Thanks dear. By the way, she is my prettiest wife, Nisha Khanna. Don't we look good together.", Tanmay introduced his wife, in a manner as though, he wanted to mock Amyra.

'Of course, you would look good together. Plastic with plastic, definitely does complement.', Amyra thought to herself.

"Yes, certainly. Nice to meet you Nisha.", Amyra said.

"The pleasure is mine Amyra", replied Nisha in a snide tone. "Had Tanmay not dumped you, I would not have gotten this gem for myself. You know, how perfect we are for each other. Oh, I am sorry, you must already be repenting over your misfortune of not marrying my wonderful husband.", she continued.

Amyra was appalled at the shallowness of her words and gestures, and yet, she was grinning inwardly for being able to escape from the clutches of Tanmay. However, presently, the mocking gazes of Tanmay and his wife and their senseless gestures were making her really uncomfortable.

Gautam had been listening to the conversation between the three in front of him. His nasty ex-girlfriend and her husband were laughing at the expense of the woman in front of them, he noted. How he wished to go there and admonish Nisha for her insensible behaviour and extend comfort to that woman.

'Nisha you would never change.' he thought.

Gautam Kamat was a well-known writer and rather popular among the youngsters. He had written two best-selling suspense thrillers which had gained him massive popularity and wealth. Today, he had an interacting session with his fans in this hotel after an hour.