Chapter 3: The Puppet's Show

Tilda had now been working at the Baxarte estate for just over five years. She had whole heartedly devoted herself to her first promise to take care of Lady Cosaria. Now, the young woman had just celebrated (if you can call it that) her eighteenth birthday.

It was just another routine morning meeting when the announcement came. Lady Baxarte has said they needed a puppet, and now they found the stage to set their puppet's performance.

The Head Maid announced, "The pest is getting sold off as a bride to the tyrant Arquix. It's some royal decree by the King. Some form of control. Political power moves and the sort. You all know the drama."

Indeed they did. The maids loved the royal's drama. It was no secret that Duke Arquix had been distancing himself from aristocratic society for years. The King was desperate to drag Arquix into the limelight and exercise some form of control over him. What would be the purpose of power if you didn't use it?

The Head Maid continued, "We need a girl to accompany the pest as a personal maid to the tyrant's estate. We're supposed to present a good front for the marriage. Any volunteers? Or I will assign someone."

"I'll go," Tilda said.

There was an audible gasp heard throughout the room. The tyrant duke was known for having servants killed at will. Some said he enjoyed bathing in the blood of his enemies. Others said he chopped off the hands of his soldiers just because he deemed them as weak. Everyone was certain on one thing; going to the duke's estate was a death sentence.

The Head Maid asked, "You sure?"

Tilda shrugged, "Sure."

She needed to seem like she didn't care when in reality, she was desperate to go. This was the perfect opportunity to help Cosaria out of the miserable purgatory she was currently facing. But if the manor knew that Tilda was planning to help Cosaria, they would rebel. Most of the servants would rather see Cosaria suffer than exhibit any ounce of compassion. Maddy and Juliet seemed to bee the only exceptions.

The Head Maid said, "You can eat first then. A last meal and all that since I doubt you'll leave the tyrant's estate alive knowing his reputation."

Tilda couldn't help but wonder, if he's that bad to servants, what is he going to do to Cosaria?

The Head Maid finished with, "But good luck to you," then as an after thought she added, "And don't think you can get out of it."

As if Tilda would run away instead of facing her fate.

"Right..." Tilda said. She wasn't worried for herself. She could handle herself. It was Cosaria that she was worried about.

༻✧༺

It was an early morning when the day arrived that Cosaria would be forc-... led to her future as wife to a tyrant. (Had the King paid Lord Baxarte for his troubles? Yes. Yes he had.)

She's grown into such a beautiful young woman, Tilda thought as she admired Lady Cosaria.

Lady Cosaria was a dainty and meek young woman. Her pale skin was like glass and her eyes still held their radiant blue shine. In the sun, her hair shimmered like strands of pure gold.

Tilda, however, was now approaching the status of 'old maid', being twenty-four herself. When it came to Tilda's appearance, not much, if anything, had changed.

Tilda waited nearby the carriage as the family gathered for the early morning send off. It would have been a sweet gesture seeing that the whole family came. Except the family were the Baxarte's. And the Baxarte's were the worst.

Cosaria had her eyes downcast so she didn't see the way Melodia glanced at Cosaria from head to toe then rolled her eyes and folded her arms.

But Tilda saw it. And Tilda judged her right back.

Melodia complained, "Does she have to take those earrings?"

The earrings in question were from a collection Brutis had recently purchased. He had a good eye for things of high value and even higher cost. They were gold rings with green beads hanging off the bottoms. Needless to say, Melodia was jealous.

Lady Baxarte responded, "We can't just send her off to the Duke's castle in rags now can we?"

Melodia huffed angrily. She didn't like to be out shined by 'the pest'.

Cosaria was wearing an exquisite outfit overlaid with the Baxarte motif of frills. The dress had been made special for the occasion and complimented her figure perfectly. It was the nicest thing she had ever worn.

Cosaria winced as Lord Baxarte stuck a finger in her face.

Lord Baxarte said, "Listen you filth. I'd rather your dead body comes back to this estate rather than to find out you couldn't marry the Duke."

Cosaria nodded and Tilda gritted her teeth.

Miserable to the end, she thought, Can we please just get this over with already?

Then Cosaria climbed in the carriage, the family backed away, and the coachman whipped the reins. The carriage was off.

Tilda sat next to the coachman as it wasn't proper for a maid to ride with her Lady. As they journeyed away from the Baxarte estate Tilda noticed Maddy and Juliet waving from the servant's wing. She waved back. Their grave expressions reminded Tilda of their encounter earlier that morning:

Tilda was comforted as Juliet and Maddy hugged her.

Juliet said, "We'll miss you."

Juliet let go of Tilda but Maddy embraced her tighter.

Maddy said, "Goodbye."

Tilda said, "I won't die." Tilda let a sarcastic smile creep to her lips, "Probably."

Maddy released the hug but held firmly to Tilda's shoulders, staring deeply in Tilda's eyes.

Maddy said, "Goodbye." Maddy was sure this would be the last time she would see her friend.

Tilda didn't feel so comforted anymore.

They sure do have a way to lift spirits, Tilda thought ironically.

And with that, the journey began.

༻✦༺

Thanks for reading!

- CopperTopHero