Christopher's POV

I return home from work and unlock Hailey's room to find her sleeping on the floor, using her stuffies as a pillow. "Baby girl," I whispered as I picked her up. Her eyes flew open and it nearly broke my heart to see the fear behind them. "Hailey Baby, you don't need to be afraid of Daddy."

She doesn't reply so I change the subject. "I got a present for you," I say in a overly excited voice hoping it'd be contagious. I smile as I reach into my pocket and offer her a pink pacifier with sparkles. "This is for my little girl," I explain, as I crouch to her level and push the nipple gently against her lips. I look at her sadly as she opens her mouth with empty eyes. 

I rub the diaper against her little kitten and realize it's full. I smile down at her, marveling in what a good girl she has been.  Placing her on the changing table, I clean her up and put a fresh diaper on her. She still hadn't made a poopy but that would come in due time. Once cleaned I look up at her to find the pacifier clenched between her teeth.

"Hailey..." I say softly, "you're so supposed to suck on it. It'll make you feel much better."

Her face is expressionless but she still does what I say. Placing her in the crib, I leave the room quietly.