Chapter 21

Gojo walks to the door, shutting it roughly. I flinch at the sound.

He turns back to me.

"I--"

"Don't," he holds his hand up, stopping me. "You don't know what you've just done."

"What do you mean?" I say, laughing indignantly. "What was I supposed to do? Let us both get fucked in the ass because of this?"

He rubs his hands over his face. "Y/n..."

"What?" I say, not understanding. "It's not like we're actually engaged! She believed us, we're fine."

"How do you not see what this means?" He asks, dumbfounded.

"Gojo, how about you just tell me what it means," I clench my teeth together.

"This isn't going to be some secret that no one finds out about. Telling Utahime we're engaged doesn't change the fact that all she wants is to see me fail. I bet she's already told every staff member and graduate student she's come across. Everyone is going to know. I'm going to have to meet with my advisor, maybe someone higher-up, to discuss the fact that you're my fiancée and I'm technically you're superior in class. It's a conflict of interest. Your advisor is going to find out. Everyone is going to find out, Y/n. The problem doesn't end now, it starts now."

I open my mouth. Then close it.

I got us out of trouble. Only to get us into a different sort of trouble. I should have known Utahime wouldn't let this actually slide. Especially after Gojo and I humiliated her.

Fuck.

"What the hell compelled you to say that?" Gojo asks, rubbing his eyes, voice tired.

I am feeling awfully stupid right now, but I hold my head high. "Is it really worse than you getting kicked out of the university? You'd prefer to lose everything you've worked towards?"

"Of course not," he replies.

I raise my eyebrows. "I didn't hear you coming up with any great solutions when she was trying to call the Dean."

"I told you to go home," he says angrily.

"And thank God I didn't!" I yell.

We stare at each other, breathing heavily. This doesn't even feel real.

"It's not a binding fucking contract, Gojo," I say. "We can call off this fake engagement at any point. Say the stress of school got to us. Say we didn't like the attention. It doesn't mean anything. We're not going to actually get married."

"No shit," he laughs.

Something in my heart drops.

"Let's just..." I look around the office, unable to look at him. "Let's just see what happens. We'll deal with everything as it happens. Then, we'll break it off. Hell, I'll stage the whole breakup with you somewhere nice and public if you want."

"Okay," Gojo breathes, running a hand through his hair. "It'll be fine."

"Right," I nod. "No one will really care. This is college, everyone has their own shit to worry about. I, for one, have about three friends total so it definitely won't cause a big wave in my life."

"Jesus," he laughs, some of the tension leaving his face. "Only three?"

"Don't fucking laugh at me," I cover my mouth to hide my own laugh. "It's not funny."

"It's a little funny, maybe," he replies.

"Stop it," I cover my face with my hands.

"I'm going to have to call Geto soon to fill him in. I don't know if Utahime will contact him, but he has to have the story straight if she does," Gojo says contemplatively.