1.04

         Saying goodbye to the tributes was never an easy thing for their families to do, but it would seem that being the Mayor's granddaughter, and girl who would generally float about the District always lending a helping hand, had made Hestia's departure so much harder than it was needed.

         The moment that the doors to the room, in which Hestia was told to say goodbye to her family, were opened, Hestia was brought into her grandmother's arms. Grayce's scarf obscured her granddaughter's eyesight as she clung to her, her hand stroking Hestia's head in the same manner she did when Hestia had asked for comfort.

         "I'll be alright." Hestia laughed as she hugged her grandmother, back, rubbing her back. She knew that her grandfather was watching them intently, she could feel his eyes burning her figure.

         "You need to be careful in the Capitol, they are not to be trusted." Grayce told her granddaughter in her usual solemn and knowing tone. "They are vile snakes, all of them, and the Careers have trained their whole lives just for this moment."

         Grayce pulled away from her granddaughter just enough to see her face, "Don't accept anything that is offered to you, you never know when they are sending you poison disguised as a gift."

         "Grayce..." Roman called out to his wife in slight warning, only to have her wave him off.

         "Grandmam, I'll be alright." Hestia soothed, her hand reaching for her grandmother's face and gently stroking it, "You forget that all that I know was taught to me by you. You taught me to survive anything, a night alone in the field if I got lost, how to heal and mend my injuries and those of others, you taught me what is poisonous to eat or drink and what isn't."

         Roman chuckled at his granddaughter's words, knowing them to be completely true, but also knowing that his wife had every reason to worry, they'd lost more than enough family members to the Games, and now one of their youngest was headed in the same route as her parents and eldest late aunt.

         "You look so much like your mother when you try to act brave." Grayce muttered, leaning into Hestia's hand while looking at the eldest of her grandchildren with soft eyes.

         Hestia laughed and brought her grandmother back in for a tight hug, this time being able to look at her grandfather. Roman was trying to hold back his tears, not wanting to show emotion while they had double the Peacekeepers in their District, he'd been told by his wife, early in their marriage that anything and everything that happened in the Districts was reported back to the Capitol.