1.01

          The fourth of July was Reaping Day, it was a day in which everything in the Districts was stopped, building, mining, construction, lumbering, gardening, any and every job the people had, they had to stop them and get ready for the Reaping.

          And the Meadowes Family was no different, Grayce Meadowes was an 80-year-old woman, who surprisingly still had the breath of life in her, she was what passed for Head Nurse, or rather she was the Healer of District 9. Her husband, Roman Meadowes, was an 84-year-old man, who was less active than his wife but still active enough as he had been considered the non-official Mayor for the past nearly 25 years.

          Their only surviving child, Dennis Meadowes, was 34-year-old and despite having been the only child of the couple to survive past the Reaping Age alive, he had lost a leg due to the conditions in which their grain harvesting sickles and scythes were kept. Though the family did count their blessings that he was alive, minus one leg, Dennis didn't allow his inability to prevent him from working, he merely stopped working up on the field and started being the one to do the checks on the equipment in the morning and evening.

          Dennis had also gotten married, to a Midwife by the name of Frida, with whom he already shared a two-year-old, called Scout, and was now patiently waiting for their second child.

          Hestia Jade Meadowes was the first and eldest grandchild, she was the only daughter of the couple's youngest child, who died at the age of 18 in the year 53 ATT, in the Arena of the 53rd Hunger Games. Her birth was one of the leading causes of her mother's, Delilah Meadowes, death.

          Hestia did have her father's side of the family, her father, Mason Turner, had been the Victor of the 33rd Hunger Games. Games in which the Arena had been slowly been infused with Radiation, killing the tributes, mutating them, and driving them mad, effects that bubbled and aged half of Mason's face and paralyzed the same half of his body, preventing him from living a normal life. Sure Mason had gotten married, but not for love, it was a match made by the Capitol, Hestia's stepmother, Vestis, was a Capitol-born and returned there after the week-long honeymoon, that was spent in District 9.

          And after Mason took his life 5 years prior, in 62 ATT, when his daughter was 9 years old, his lawful wife hadn't even dared set foot in District 9 for the funeral, though it was televised as he was a victor. It was then that Hestia began to believe her Grandmother when she said that the Capitol didn't care about the people, no matter what they said, they only cared about the money the Games and the Victors could bring them.