Chapter 1 • you know, best friends

"Another one bites the dust, eh Ni?" Malcolm sat on Nia's couch the way he always had since she bought it after uni - way too comfortably

"Another one bites the dust, eh Ni?" Malcolm sat on Nia's couch the way he always had since she bought it after uni - way too comfortably. In a fitted white t-shirt and grey sweats, feet up, his long limbs sprawling from the corner of her sectional, hogging all her throw pillows and blankets.

Nia unlocked her phone. "Yep. He officially just cancelled. Though I had imagined myself at least eating a hot dinner with a cool guy, I really wanted to be on my back in a cool bed with a hot guy on top of me... no matter." She opened her calendar app to delete her Wednesday night 'Hookup with Tony' 8-11 block, update her 'Chill with Mac' block to run from 6-10 instead of 6-7, and added in 'Extensive XTRA LUXE Bed Time Routine' from 10-11. She deserved it and had the time for it now.

Where most people found penciling in the minutiae of their days redundant, Nia loved how it nurtured her life-long obsession with organization. Plus, on the off chance she was kidnapped, the police would know exactly where to look and easily identify prime suspect number one.

"TMI! TM-fucking-I. I don't talk about Zora like that." Malcolm groaned and Nia giggled as she tied her shoulder length coils up into a bun. The curls spouted like a pineapple atop her round head. She headed to her bedroom, changing from her chic business casual to dress her toned frame in a matching chocolate-coloured loungewear shorts set that perfectly complimented her brown skin.

"That's because Tony is some faceless dude to you, and Zora's practically your wife to me. You could never. And I'd punch you in the face if you did." Nia called from the crack in her door.

"Speaking of which, we know why I'm still in my apartment but why are you? Where's Zora?" She emerged from her room and grabbed two wine glasses from her windowed cabinets. She filled them with a Sauvignon Blanc she had unintentionally let aerate on her white quartz countertop.

"First of all, ouch. And second of all, girls night."

"Aw, good for her. Glad she gets time away from you." Nia's smile stretched from her cheek bones and crinkled her button nose. "What do you want to eat? I have no food, grocery run's tomorrow at 4:45. Even if I had, I have no time to prep or even cook at this point. Omigod, it's 7:15 already?" She glanced at the time as she brought the glasses to her earth toned living room and placed them on a lightly stained wooden coffee table.

"You really do schedule everything, huh?" Malcolm asked as he curled his full lips in a smirk. His strong jawline twitched as he fought the urge to laugh. "Everything from grocery store runs to dick appointments? Really, Nia?"

"Girls need dick with no complications or whatever Summer Walker and Drake said." Nia shrugged as she intentionally sat down on Malcolm's foot perched on her velour forest green couch.

"Ow! I'm sitting here. Geez Ni." He kissed his teeth as he slid it behind her.

"Listen here, stretch: First of all, don't act like it ain't soft." Nia gestured to her toned booty. "Secondly, you cannot come over to my place and just take up all the space. I'm pretty sure you might even be taking oxygen from my plants. Now what do you want for dinner?"