08.5

"Yeah, I'm leaving. I'm sorry I didn't tell you before, but it's been a busy few days," Mello tried to justify.

Quinn looked at him in annoyance. "Something happened, didn't it? For you to act so impulsively...we're not even old enough to leave yet."

"L is dead," He said, angrily biting on his chocolate.

She audibly gasped, her eyes widening. "Really? But there's an important case to solve!"

"...Which is why I'm leaving. So I can catch Kira before Near," He explained.

She rolled her eyes in irritation. "It's always about beating Near, isn't it? Just don't go too far. We can't have you dying on me over something as silly as competition," Quinn fidgeted nervously with the hem of her dress.

"Don't worry so much. I can do it," He walked past her and putting things in his suitcase, zipping it up quickly. "I'm leaving as fast as I can from the place...I can't deal with Mr. Roger right now. He's more cranky right now, so just leave him alone today."

Quinn stared at the heavy looking bag, helping him carry the luggage. Although she didn't own much herself, it seemed like he had a lot to bring.

Mello was too young to go out on his own.

"Are you sure this is what you want?" She asked.

"Obviously. Why do you think I'm making this decision?" He responded.

"You...better be careful," She warned him. There was no turning back now.

He stared at her blankly, as if he had been in a hurry to leave the room.

"I'm sorry. It's just there's so many risks in trying to fight Kira," She sighed. "Can I give you a hug?"

He didn't respond, but let his arms out for her.

She took the chance, enveloping him in her embrace.

Tears pricked at her eyes, but she blinked them back to prevent herself from ruining the moment.

"Goodbye, Mello."

"Goodbye, Quinn."

Although he didn't show it, Mello was equally scared for the future ahead of him.