07

Everyone sat near the warm fireplace, warming them up on the chilly day. It was December 1st, and all of the orphans burned with joy and excitement.

Quinn tied a ribbon together, making an ornament for the Christmas tree. She passed it to Linda, who gleefully accepted it and started decorating it. She used a thin brush to add specks of white paint, like a flurry of snow.

Near got scolded by her when she realized he was stacking the glitter and paint bottles into a makeshift Christmas tree.

His attention soon shifted to the gingerbread houses the younger kids were making, and walked away to join them.

Matt looked at the two curiously, his eyes lingering on the glitter Linda sprinkled on her ornament.

The Christmas tree almost seemed to glimmer in the room, even without the ornaments. Quinn was quick to start adding some tinsel, asking some orphans to assist her.

They also made Christmas cards, which led to some complaints—mostly Mello—about it.

Speaking of drawing, at one point, Linda started making portraits of everyone, stating that 'she was making their Christmas presents.'

Quinn thought that this was just an excuse to have pictures of them. They weren't allowed to have many at the orphanage. The only time a photo was ever taken of them was the group ones they did at the end of each year.

"Quinn, it's always been difficult for me to draw you," Linda started, sketching Mello as she spoke. "Your vibrant eyes are so full of life, just like apricity. It's hard to capture that in a simple image."

The brunette looked at her in bewilderment, tilting her head. "Apricity...what does that mean?" She was confused how she could stumble Linda, who was known to be able to draw anyone, but she took it as a compliment.

Linda smiled at her. "It means 'the warmth of the sun in the winter.' Fitting for someone who loves the snow so much!"

Quinn's eyes sparkled. What a specific and unique word. To be compared to something as lovely as the shimmering snow...she was flattered.

Linda scribbled away as she finished up her sketch, turning to the next page to draw Quinn. "Your turn next! I love a good challenge!"

*ੈ✩‧₊˚༺☆༻*ੈ✩‧₊˚

Quinn wrapped a red ribbon over a white box, looping a tag on the bow she tied together. Perfect.

She tiptoed through the halls, peeking through multiple classrooms to find a certain someone. As she looked through the library window, she spotted him reading a thick textbook. She couldn't believe Mello was studying on his birthday!

He looked lost in his book, flipping through the pages in interest.

As she walked up to him, she placed the cardboard box on the table. "Surprise!" She said in excitement.

He looked shocked, slightly jumping in his seat. "What's this for?" He looked at her curiously.

"Your birthday, of course! I can't believe you forgot about it!" She gently pulled the textbook out of his grasp, "open it!"

He pulled the bow carefully, trying not to mess up the paper. "A necklace?" He looked at it closely. "So that's why we went to the craft store a few months back." Mello recognized the intricate beads.

"Thanks, I guess," he turned away from her, trying to hide the slight smile on his face.