~VI~ The saviour

The dress President Snow had chosen for her to wear to the Tribute Parade was rather tame in comparison to the flashiness of the Capitol. It was white with a modest neckline and puffy sleeves. Its flow skirt draped over her knees and brushed against the skin of her calves with every move. To add at least a bit of colour, a belt of flowers was sawn across the bodice, wrapping around the girl and pooling onto the top part of the skirt. 

It didn't have much to do with the latest fashion; it was too plain and unnoticeable to keep up with the extravagance of the people gathered around her. Maybe that was why she stood out in the crowd more than any of them did. 

Or maybe it was because she was the only one graced with the great honour of sitting by the President himself. As soon as the two walked out onto the large balcony, just as she had been instructed, the girl waved gracefully to the crowds. The cameras immediately picked up on the movement and, soon enough, her face appeared on every screen. She couldn't hear the commentary Caesar was sure to be giving back in the studio but she could imagine the empty compliments that surely flew out of his lips. 

She half expected to be joining him for the broadcast but this time, Snow wanted her by his side. She couldn't be sure why but she had learned a long time ago to never ask any questions about his motives. It could only end badly. 

"Straighten your back," she heard the man murmur. "And lift your head, for god's sake!" 

Of course, she immediately listened. 

He didn't have time to comment on her posture or appearance anymore since the time came for the tributes to enter the prepared area. 

District one, draped in gold and glistening in the afternoon sun. District Two, dressed in terrifying metals with a few too many sharp edges. District Three, proudly showing its futuristic fashion.

And then there was District Four. Her district.

Andromeda's eyes glided over the quiet, hunched Elena and moved straight to the boy standing by her side. To her utter happiness, Finnick looked almost exactly like she imagined he would. Starla listened to all the suggestions the girl mentioned and improved upon them. 

The boy looked like a true star and he acted like one too. As he rode in the chariot he held his head high and waved at the audience, a wide smile stretched over his golden cheeks. He winked, blew kisses to the ladies, and charmed even those who promised themselves not to take a liking to him. He did everything he was supposed to. 

Except look at his best friend. Because he knew that keeping the gallant facade would be much harder if he saw her trapped next to the most disgusting man in all of Panem. 

Andromeda on the other hand couldn't tear her eyes away from him. She hung onto his image like a hawk, physically unable to look anywhere but at him. She didn't want to admit it even quietly but she worried that it would be one of the last times she ever got to study his beautifully familiar face. 

When all the chariots stood side by side, it became clear which strategies the tributes decided to pursue. Some, like the boy from Four, charmed the audience. Some looked around with terrifying expressions, determined to intimidated the people of the Capitol. Some, on the other hand, did everything they could do disappear among their competitors. 

No matter what they did, there was one thing that connected all 24 four of them; the faint stench of fear that even the most angry facades couldn't quite cover up. 

Andromeda could barely stomach listening the speech that Snow decided to give. She didn't care about the empty words for she knew that he was a heartless liar. The kids standing before him weren't brave and courageous; they were just kids. Little children who had no choice but to make a spectacle out of themselves. There was nothing glamorous about the situation they found themselves in.