-12- Back Home

The two stayed clung together like two peas in a pod for the rest of the Christmas movie, neither of them were really concentrating on it but it made the silence less awkward, Jason would continually and rhythmically rub his hand across Caleb's back but as promised didn't go any further than that.

Caleb felt lower than he ever had before, he didn't feel safe by himself but knew he had to go home to make sure Jayden was alright, spending the night away could get his little brother hurt and he wasn't willing to risk that for any amount of safety or sex Jason could give him.

"Are you sure going homes a good idea? He might hurt you, these bruises are barely even faded yet" Jason whispered his hand softly gliding over one of the faded bruises on Celeb's face.

Caleb sighed, everything in him was telling him to stay with Jason, but he couldn't do that. He couldn't abandon his little brother "Jayden needs me, I'm sorry Jason" he replied sadly.

It was coming up to 9pm, his Dad would be home and drunk by now for sure, he needed to get back as soon as possible.

"You need the bucket again or are you good now?" Jason asked kindly, Caleb shuddered slightly remembering the feeling of the vomit leaving his mouth and the Managers touch on his waist but he shook his head.

"I'll be fine, thank you" he answered nodding reassuringly, the two then ventured out of the door climbing into the blue pick up truck setting off for Caleb's house.

Christmas songs played tunefully on the radio as the snow covered roads passed them by, December was coming to a close and the new year would be upon them soon, another year of hell.

"There's gonna be a New Year's party at the bar I work at on News Years Eve, I'll be off shift that day if you wanna come have a drink with me?" Jason offered a smirk appearing on his face as he gave a side glance to Caleb.

"Y-Yeah I'd love to, I won't be drinking alcohol though, my Dad's put me off if" Caleb replied quietly, Jason nodded with a smile.

"It's a date, well not a date, an unofficial date. A will they won't they kinda date" he told Caleb as they pile up to his drive.

Caleb giggled slightly nodding "I know what you mean yeah, testing the waters maybe, or the ice I guess"

Jason agreed looking around at the snow "Definitely ice, that snowman's cute" he said pointing at the lopsided, messily built snowman that rested on the small patch of grass in Caleb's driveway.

Caleb turned to it and laughed "That's a Jayden snowman for sure, that's got Jayden written all over it" He explained.

"Quite the artist" Jason commented sarcastically and the pair laughed.

"See you at your work tomorrow yeah?" Jason asked as Caleb opened the truck door.

"Yes, if I'm not at front just go to the break room, Ebony knows you so she won't care" Caleb told him.

"Introducing me to the friends now, that's a big step" Jason teased and Caleb rolled his eyes at him.

"See you around Jason" He said smiling warmly at him.

"Have a good night elf, stay safe for me yeah? Don't try playing the hero if you don't need to" Jason warned before the car door shut. The blue pick up truck sped away as Caleb looked up at his house nervously.

Caleb snuck into the house shutting the door as quiet as a mouse, he crept up the stairs avoiding the floorboards he knew would creak, eventually he reached the top turning to Jayden's room, he entered it quietly.

Jayden looked up at him in panic quickly hiding something under the covers, however muffled mario kart music gave him away. Caleb smiled sitting on the end of the bed picking up the book they'd gotten half way through the other day.

"Don't tell Dad" Jayden whispered quickly taking the switch out and turning it off then plugging it into charge.

"I would never" Caleb replied reassuringly, probably for different reasons than Jayden realised but that was fine.

"Good, cause if you did I'd tell dad you've been sneaking around with blue truck man" Jayden told him cheekily sending a mischievous smile at Caleb.

Caleb went red "You wouldn't dare Jay" he replied with a half smile, he knew Jayden was joking but the fact he knew was scary information.

Jayden smiled back sweetly shaking his head "He nice smile" he said gesturing to outside where the pick up truck was parked earlier.

"He does yeah, you should meet him someday, once we leave this house" Caleb answered his voice hushed so their Dad didn't hear.

"Dad scares me, he shouts and drinks lots of funny smelling water, then shouts and breaks things and screams" Jayden confessed his eyes widening with fear "and he hurts you, bruises you, blue and purple all the time, even your eye, how can you see?" Jayden continued tears welling up in his innocent little brown eyes.

"It's okay Jay, I'm a big boy I can handle it. You won't have to worry at all" Caleb reassured him with a convincing facial expression.

"When I'm a big boy, will I have to be hurt?" He asked his voice high pitched.

"No buddy you won't, I wouldn't allow it. I'd protect you against anything you got that? I'd never let anyone hurt you Jay" Caleb whispered urgently.

Jayden nodded a small smile appearing on his face as he cozied up into the covers, Caleb sighed in relief beginning to read the story, soon Jayden was out like a light his breathing slowed and relaxed.

Caleb smiled down at him placing the book gently on the bedside table then leaving just as quietly as he has entered making little to no noise as he pushed the door shut.

Stealthily he then crossed the hall, he could hear his Dads snoring from inside his own room, that was good. He just had one more thing he needed to do, he needed to get the itch and dirt of the Managers touch off his skin, and he only knew one way to do that.

He reached for the blade in his drawer rolling his sleeve up, Caleb made 10 cuts in quick succession not pausing for a breath between cuts, Finally he let out a massive sigh putting the blade away and examining his wrist.

It wasn't that bad, he'd definitely done worse. He tiptoed to the bathroom putting it under the warm water tap. As normal it stung slightly but Caleb was used to it, once it had finished he did the usual routine of drying it then bandaging it, he also took the old bandage from his other wrist off. The scars still remained but they'd healed nicely. No infections.

Caleb sighed stripping down and getting into bed, he stared at the ceiling wishing Jason were beside him, wishing he could get Jayden out of this house sooner, but most of all. Wishing himself dead.