-1- Christmas Eve

Caleb Walters sat on the blue living room sofa and sighed in boredom, the television blared in the background some crappy kids tv show Christmas special on, his younger brother Jayden was sat watching it his eyes glued to the screen as the cartoon characters messed about. Jayden was around 6 now which worried Caleb a lot, once he'd turned 8 that's when his Dad had begun beating him.

Now Caleb was 18 and still lived at home, his Mom was long gone but his abusive Dad still remained in the shattered and broken apart picture, he was yet to lay a finger on the sweet, innocent Jayden but Caleb knew it was inevitable if he didn't get enough money to get himself and Jayden out soon.

"Caleb when it food?" Jayden asked loudly turning to face his big brother inquisitively, Caleb smiled reaching over and ruffling up Jayden's hair.

"I'll get it started now Jay, okay? You continue watching this. I'll just be in the kitchen" Caleb told him heaving himself off the sofa, Jayden nodded excitedly turning back to the television with a wide grin on his face.

Caleb walked into the kitchen loading a tray out and filling it with oven chips and dinosaur chicken nuggets, those were Jayden's favourite. Caleb placed them gently in the oven turning it on and closing the oven door firmly.

His reflection came into view on the glass oven door, Caleb sighed bitterly, his emerald green hair was a mess and his face was littered with bruises. His dark brown were bloodshot and dull, He was lucky no one at work questioned it because it was getting increasingly obvious what was happening behind closed doors.

Sighing Caleb turned away turning the kitchen radio on, a Christmas tune instantly belted out of it jingling along rhythmically, Caleb walked over to the calendar crossing the 24th of December off it, tomorrow would be Christmas, he'd spent the previous week finishing to wrap the presents for himself, his Dad and of course most importantly Jayden.

Jayden absolutely loved Christmas, it reminded Caleb of the child like wonder he'd missed out on growing up, he wanted to preserve that for Jayden as long as he could. It wasn't like their dad was interested in doing so or even in buying either of them gifts.

Giggling came from the living room as funny music began to ring out from the television along with an irritating laugh track, Caleb ignored it focusing on laying the table out. The oven soon blared behind him signifying the food was done.

Once he'd served it Caleb paced softly back into the living room "Foods ready Jayden" he called out kindly, Jayden instantly jumped up jogging into the kitchen and practically jumping into his seat, Caleb sat opposite watching his brother with a smile on his face as he gobbled the food up.

"Mouth closed remember Jay" Caleb whispered with a small smile, Jayden nodded with a toothy grin swallowing his mouthful.

"You not eating Caleb?" Jayden asked looking upset.

Caleb shook his head and sent a reassuring glance Jayden's way "I'll be eating with Dad when he gets home and you're in bed" Caleb told him, this was a lie however, with his Dads aggressive gambling and alcohol addiction there was barely enough money to keep the house payments up or food on the table. Caleb would often go days without eating but would never ever let Jayden.

After Jayden had finished eating he got back up from the table rushing back into the living room to continue his show, Caleb sighed in satisfaction taking a few of the chips Jayden had left behind and eating them before carrying the plate over to the sink and washing it up.

The water was hot and the bubbles got everywhere but Caleb knew if he left it out dirty there would be hell to pay once his Dad got home. Caleb finished the washing up putting the plate and glasses out to dry then walking back into the living room sitting beside his little brother.

Jayden looked up at him with a grin but reached over suddenly and took Caleb's hand "Did you get hurt Caleb?" He asked innocently softly touching Caleb's wrist with an unknowing look on his face.

Caleb panicked slightly, Jayden was looking at a soft, thin white bandage wrapped around his wrist, he hurriedly pulled his jumper sleeve up concealing the bandage from view "Yes I tripped whilst playing" Caleb lied, he knew how often Jayden would fall over whilst running around at school and scrape his knee and arms so knew that would be a believable lie to the 6 year old.

"Why did you not put a dinosaur bandaid on it? Mrs Broadwell says the dinosaurs look after the cut for me" Jayden explained nodding his head.

"The dinosaurs were busy protecting other kids, I'm an adult so I can take care of it myself" Caleb told him with a smile "don't worry about it Jay, and don't tell Dad about it okay?"

Jayden nodded losing interest and turning back to the television, Caleb sighed looking at the floor, he could almost kick himself for allowing Jayden to see it, however before he could dwell on it anymore the headlights of a car beamed through the window.

"Shit" Caleb whispered "bed time now Jay, time to read a bed night story yeah?" Caleb added to Jayden softly but urgently.

"But I want to finish this!" Jayden protested pointing at the television tears welling up in his brown orb eyes.

"Finish it tomorrow Jay, come on I'll race you to your room" Caleb urged softly, Jayden grinned sprinting for the stairs, Caleb quickly turned the television off following Jayden as fast as he could and shutting the door to Jaydens bedroom firmly behind him.

"I win!" Jayden yelled happily as the sound of the front door crashing open came from downstairs, Caleb nodded ruffling Jayden's hair up as the kid smiled, then climbed into bed.

Caleb sat on the end of his bed pulling a book from the bedside table "You ready? And remember to fall asleep quickly so Santa can come" Caleb whispered quietly.

"Yes! I will, yes! Yes!" Jayden repeated in excitement pulling his stuffed bear closer to him and cuddling into it as Caleb began to read the story, soon Jayden's eyes were shut and his breathing had slowed down, he was fast asleep.

Caleb smiled caringly at him leaning down and kissing his forehead delicately "Sleep well Jay" he whispered setting the book back down on the side and tiptoeing out of the bedroom shutting the door as quiet as a mouse behind him.

He then stared down the stairs, fear epping at his chest. His Dad was down there, and definitely drunk. Caleb made his way slowly down the stairs, the stench of alcohol hit his nose as soon as he entered the living room.

"FAGGOT WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS?" Mr Walters yelled angrily slurring his words and pointing to the mistletoe hanging in the hallway above the front door.

"Just Christmas decorations sir, nothing bad" Caleb explained, his Dad strided angrily towards him aiming a punch as soon as he was close enough, it hit Caleb square in the face like a truck his nose beginning to bleed.

Mr Walters then moved down kicking his chest and legs over and again as Caleb curled in on himself trying to keep quiet for Jaydens sake "I. Should. Have. Killed. You. As. Well. As. Her" Mr Walters screamed at him landing a kick between each word as Caleb let out a small whimper.

"Go to your room, I don't want to see you again until Christmas morning! Where I expect the perfect gift!" Mr Walters ordered, Caleb scrambled quickly to his feet limping up the stairs in immense pain.

He sighed stripping down to his tighty whities and flopping into bed his chest and legs and arms and face all aching from the beating, Caleb shut his eyes slowly fading into a soft sleep.