-11- Broken Hearts

Caleb remained curled up on the cold, tiled bathroom floor for what felt like hours, his stomach was knotted, it felt completely devoid and empty of anything due to the amount of times he'd thrown up, he still felt physically sick at what he'd done.

His face was red and tear stained, though he no longer had tears left to cry, if he'd had a blade or pills with him in that moment he was sure he'd have ended it right then and there.

Luckily moments later the door swung open, Caleb ignored it hoping the stranger would just leave the bathroom, however a familiar gasp sounded then footsteps hurriedly crossing the floor to approach him.

"Elf, what happened, Elf?" Jason hissed kneeling beside him, Caleb opened his eyes squinting up, he saw Jason's caring face staring down at him the light shining aggressively from behind him.

"I-I'm sorry, I'm so sorry" Caleb whispered back choking on his own words before sitting up and vomiting into the toilet again then groaning in pain clutching his stomach.

"It's gonna be okay Caleb I've got you, the old man said you were back here, he's left the keys out. Wants you to lock up" Jason explained whilst soothingly running his hand through Caleb's messy green hair.

"T-thanks Jason, I'm sorry" Caleb muttered back trying to stand up but stumbling, Jason supported him helping him to stand properly.

"I'd say the meal outs off tonight then, let's go back to mine for a bit and watch a shitty Christmas movie or something" Jason told him.

Caleb knew he should probably be heading home but didn't have the energy to fight it, he also felt so safe in Jason's presence, his Dad would just beat him up, Jason would look after him.

They were soon in the blue pick up truck on the road towards Jason's place, Caleb was clutching a bucket Jason had handed him from the trunk looking down into it quietly, he didn't dare look up. Jason was just his friend with benefits but it still felt wrong, it felt so wrong allowing the old manager to touch him like that and do things to him.

He felt absolutely disgusting for it, he lurched over vomiting again, as a result he earned a sigh of sympathy and a quick glance of concern from Jason.

"This is just like... sickness right, you- you didn't purposely make yourself sick?" Jason asked softly dreading the answer.

Caleb shook his head "I don't have an eating disorder don't worry" He reassured him weakly.

"You sure? You don't eat for days on end and now I've found you throwing up" Jason commented the truck slowing down for a red light.

Caleb nodded, he had to admit it did look bad, but he'd never made himself sick before, he only restricted because he had to, he'd much rather be eating everyday than skipping, he was always so hungry.

"Y-yeah I'm sure, thanks for the concern though Jason, I appreciate this a lot" Caleb thanked him with a small smile, they soon pulled up to a small apartment block.

"I'm bottom floor so no need for stairs, that door there" Jason pointed to a black door on the corner of the block, Caleb made his way slowly over to it enjoying the fierce winter breeze on his itching skin.

"You're more a top floor kinda guy I think" Caleb joked quietly, Jason raised his eyebrows with a smirk.

"And you'd know" he replied cooly making Caleb snigger. Jason put the key in the lock opening up the door and guiding Caleb in, Caleb practically collapsed on the couch letting Jason deal with the sick bucket.

After a few minutes Jason joined him on the couch putting his arm round him comfortingly, however Caleb shuffled away shivering slightly, he couldn't be touched not right now.

"Sorry Elf" Jason commented softly looking over at him with an unreadable expression. He turned the TV on, it blared loudly as a silly Christmas movie came on, Caleb sighed as they made eye contact, neither looked away for a few seconds before looking away simultaneously.

"You wanna tell me what happened?" Jason initiated calmly keeping his voice tame and low-key.

"Not really" Caleb replied stonily.

Jason nodded understandingly looking at the TV.

"I had sex with the manager for a raise" Caleb blurted out stumbling over the sentence slightly in his haste.

"What the fuck?" Jason exclaimed his voice raising slightly "Caleb what the actual fuck?" He repeated looking kinda annoyed.

Caleb looked at the ground pitifully "A guy robbed the store, tips all gone. I needed the money. I'd agreed to go out for a stupid money sucking dinner with you, I need to pay the bills, I need to feed Jayden, what else was I supposed to do?" Caleb replied the words coming out quickly and harsher than he'd intended.

"Stupid money sucking? Is that all I am to you? I know you said no strings attached at first, but I thought we were past that?" Jason retorted looking hurt.

Caleb opened his mouth to respond but Jason was quicker "So this is my fault is it? I made you have sex with an old man and held a knife to your throat to force you out with me? I was trying to nice Caleb. You haven't eaten properly in days" Jason continued his voice faltering slightly.

"And to be honest, I needed a distraction, I needed something to look forward to, look around you" He added bitterly, Caleb looked around for the first time noticing the dirty blankets with muddy paw prints lying on the floor, a dog bowl with half eaten food that looked stale and days old, dog toys littering the floor, all never to be used or played with again.

Caleb felt a wave of guilt wash through him "I- I didn't mean it like that Jason, I'm sorry" he whispered tears welling up in his eyes "I just- he pressured me so bad, and it all got stolen, I needed the money, cause if I'm gonna be honest, I wanted to go out with you tonight so badly" Caleb admitted.

"I was gonna pay for it all you doofus, that's why I told you it was my thank you to you" Jason said a small smile flickering on his face despite the annoyed tone in his voice.

"Y-yeah, I guess you did say that" Caleb replied with an awkward laugh scratching the back of his neck bashfully.

"I'm sorry Jason, I-"

"Shhhh, it's okay Caleb" Jason whispered back.

Caleb shook his head "Do- do you like me? In you know, that way?" He asked terrified of the response.

Jason nodded his head nervously "Yeah Elf, I do" he replied shortly gazing longingly at the broken looking green haired boy beside him.

"You don't just see me as a charity case for you to fix then dump, right?" Caleb questioned insecurely his heartbeat quickening as butterflies built in his stomach.

The man instantly shook his head "No way Caleb, no way at all, I'd love to help you get through everything too, but that's not how I see you" Jason told him.

"I- I feel the same way about you" Caleb admitted his eyes darting around the room "b-but, I don't know if I'm ready right now, I don't know if I can handle a relationship right now" Caleb felt tears falling down his face as he spoke, had he just wrecked his chances with him?

Jason nodded understandingly, he looked marginally disappointed but then responded "I'll wait Elf, I'll wait for however long it takes you" He promised.

"W-what if I'm never ready?" Caleb stuttered out his eyes brimming with the tears that were descending down his cheeks.

"Then I guess I'll be single forever" Jason responded with a slight chuckle "I'm not gonna touch you anywhere you don't want me to, but can I hug you please?" Jason requested after a pause.

Caleb nodded leaning forward, Jason also leaned forward and they embraced, Caleb cried quietly onto his shirt feeling the most vulnerable he'd ever felt but also completely safe in Jason's grip. Everything would be okay... right?