3. the party

4379 words

by the time tyler has finished deciding what to wear, it's around 8:30pm. his decision lands on a baby blue tee and black sweat-shorts that fall a couple inches above his knees. covering his feet are blue crew socks covered in chocolate chip cookies. he stands in front of the full-length mirror he command-stripped to his bedroom wall, running his hands over his shirt to smooth out a few wrinkles.

he catches a glimpse of his stuffies in the mirror and smiles, thinking they would approve of his outfit. tyler also makes sure to slide on his black vans, knowing he won't want to be barefoot for the party because the floor is doomed to get sticky. after he's ready, he approaches ashley's door. he hears music coming from inside.

"come in!" she says in response to his knock.

tyler enters, finding ashley sat on the floor in front of her mirror while she applies makeup. there's an open twisted tea on the ground next to her. tyler knows he shouldn't start drinking yet—he's too much of a lightweight and would be drunk before anybody even got there.

"you look pretty," he says, looking at her through the mirror.

ashley grins. "thanks, bub. i like your socks."

tyler looks down at his cookie-covered socks and grins. he likes them too. "when is everyone coming?"

"brendon said to tell everyone 9:30 so that really means around, like, 10 probably."

"oh," tyler mumbles, joining her in sitting on the floor. he watches curiously as ashley's mouth falls open every time she coats her lashes in a layer of mascara. he really likes the look of it—the way her lashes grow and lay so delicately. "can you do me, too?"

"of course." ashley doesn't even hesitate, turning to face the brunette. "close your eyes."

tyler does as he's told, feeling a hand grab his cheek to hold his head in place while the mascara wand brushes over his eyelashes. after a couple of coats on both eyes, ashley says he can look. tyler eagerly leans forward to examine himself in the mirror. his lashes look so pretty! he smiles. "thank you."

"you like it?" ashley asks, going back to apply makeup to her own face.

"mhm!"

suddenly, tyler hears his name being yelled from downstairs. ashley and him share a glance before she shrugs. "maybe he needs your help with something?"

"yeah right," tyler deadpans. he lifts himself off the floor with a grunt, heading downstairs to find ryan and brendon in the kitchen. music is playing from a speaker they had set up in the living room. "what brendon?"

brendon turns away from the counter, motioning to the three shot glasses before him. "the birthday boy requests a shot."

"okay, to be fair, i asked brendon to do one and he insisted that we ask you too," ryan clarifies, pouring vodka into the shot glass closest to him. "you can if you want. don't let brendon peer pressure you."

"i'm not peer pressuring," brendon argues, using his fingers to put air quotes around the words. "i'm just... encouraging."

"practically the same thing," ryan says, filling up a shot glass for brendon too. he looks to tyler, hovering over the third one. "yes or no?"

"last time i tried i coughed it back up and had to swallow down vomit," tyler points out. he raises an eyebrow and crosses his arms over his chest. "so i don't know."

"well, here." brendon turns to the fridge and grabs a juice pouch. he hands it to tyler. "you can chase with this. it'll help it go down smoother."

the brunette takes the drink reluctantly, weighing his options. he does want to celebrate ryan's birthday and he does feel very big at the moment. it's hard not to in such an environment. he's free from any of the typical things that trigger his regression. i mean, aside from the anxiety of having his house full of people but tyler knows that anxiety will melt the more he drinks. "sure, i guess."