Late Night Talk With The Tree of Feelings

I stare off into the forest as Nini cuddles me in his sleep, finding myself unable to do the same, no matter how much I tried as a thousand thoughts buzz in my mind.

The tree is sentient, it understands what we're saying and can move. Does that mean it heard me ramble and curse at everything when I woke up? And with the apples sensing emotions- My eyes narrow as I realize that the tree must've heard my panicked screaming when I first woke up, including my thoughtless rambling, while also feeling my emotions and intentions for it.

And if the tree can somehow communicate with Nim through their shared life force then...

Oh shit, I messed up. I really mess up- I messed up BIG time- but, what if the tree wasn't awake? Nim hasn't popped up even after us staying near the tree for so long. So maybe the tree didn't hear me either?

Wait are the tree and Nim seperate entities? Like- I know Nim is sealed in the tree and all but like- did they fuse? They have a shared life force and all or is this like a jinchuriki and tailed beast situation like in Naruto? I blink, feeling incredibly confused now.

I tilt my head back as I look up at the tree.

Well, I won't know unless I ask it. And I won't be able to go to sleep until I have my doubts answered. Is the tree still awake though?

"Hey, are you awake?" I ask softly, praying that I don't wake up Nini.

The place is silent for a while. I sigh, as I look back down, accepting that she's probably asleep or something when-

*rustle*

My skull snaps up as I look up at the tree with wide sockets as the positive apples shimmer brightly.

"Oh... um. You must've been awake when I first woke up then huh? When our bodies were still wonky and all." I wince, pulling Nini closer to me as I fear the answer.

The tree pauses as the positive apples dim before both of the apples shine.

"Yes, and no. Huh, I'm guessing you woke up a bit later when I hit my head on you right?" I ask.

The negative apples immediately dim as the positive apples stay alight.

"Ah, you must've heard me ramble to myself about a bunch of plans and crying. It must've been weird huh?" I muse, wondering if it heard my argument against the God.

The tree of feelings rustles and creaks, probably trying to reassure me.

"Its fine, just... can you keep that to yourself? Please?" I ask. The tree pauses for a moment, as it lets out soft rustles.

"You must be asking why huh?" I say humorously, guessing what the tree is trying to say.

"Look, I don't know if your actually mom or are the tree of feelings. Nini isn't that sure about it either since she's sealed into you now. If you aren't though, and you still have seperate consciousness compared to her, I would like it if you didn't say just how badly I reacted when I woke up. I was a mess. And it's embarrassing." I give the tree a white lie, as it was embarrassing and I was definitely a mess, but the reasons were different.

I don't need her or anyone to know I'm not from here. The tree of feelings probably didn't understand why I was so panicked or my ramblings but Nim definitely will and I really don't want to be questioned or put against Nini due to being different. I frown.

The tree rustles again, this time the positive apples shining brightly.

"Does that mean you'll do it?" I ask hopefully.

The tree creaks and groans in an almost eager way as the positive apples grow brighter.

I smile at that. "Thank you. That means a lot to me."

The trees branches sway a bit, though I can't tell in what direction, though it seems content. The positive apples glimmering with a softer glow, as if saying 'its alright.'

"Good night." I say softly as the gentle sound of leaves rustling and cricket chirps finally pull me into a deep sleep.

_____

This is directly after the events of Chapter 23- Stories Told, but still in the same night, just a little after Nini falls asleep.