Chapter 27 - Decision?

“Have you made a decision about what country you're going to play for in the World Cup?”

The silence rings out loudly, and I hum to fill it. In all honesty, I hadn't decided. I wanted to support Mapi in her decision not to play for Spain, but she isn't about to lose her career. I needed to find a way to rejuvenate my chances and find an offer that isn't the wave and move. The wsl was a good choice, but with recent events, I just don't think I want to go anywhere but Spain, closer to Mapi.

“Can I come visit you?” I answer, not yet responding to her original question. “We can decide together.. if you want to.”

I hear Mapi suck in a breath, and my heart drops. Did she not want to see me?

“Baby, that would be great. But I'm in Madrid with the team. You know. El Clasico and everything..”

I released the breath I was holding in, releasing my worries that she wouldn't want to see me so soon after she came to me. “Oh. Can I.. can I still come watch?”

Mapi laughs, and the hold on my heart is loosened. “Of course you can, you goof. We can talk it out on my free day.”

“Better book myself a flight then.”

“Careful, jetlag is a bitch.” Mapi says, making me laugh lightly. “I have to go now, baby girl. Message me if or when you get here. Stay safe, love you!” She hangs up and I'm left in my own silence again. I don't like it at all. It's quiet and lonely and it's times like these that I miss Mapi the most. I busy myself either trying to book a flight instead, deciding on first class for the flight as if I'm going to be stuck in a space for god knows how many hours, I want to be comfortable. It was an easy process, but with my mind running 10 million+ mph it takes far too long.

Before I knew it I had shoved various items of clothing into my back and was already on the plane to Madrid. Another unfamiliar city, on my own. I knew I was going to be arriving late, the sky outside already dark. I couldn't call my sister, who was away in Poland on her honeymoon, nor could I call Mapi, who I know will not be allowed out of the hotel before her game in 2 days. I chose to take a taxi, the awkwardness rife as the driver hummed some Spanish tune and spoke to me in broken spanglish. Eventually, I'm tucked away in some fancy hotel, which was one of the only ones in close proximity to the stadium that was not fully booked due to the game, Barca fans going to all extent to watch their girls. Can't complain, seen as I'm doing the same.

The first thing I do is lay my head against the pillow, Admitting defeat to the tiredness edging at my insides. Mapi's right, Jetlag is a bitch. My eyes are slowly shutting, and I try to remind myself to message my girlfriend that I am here, and I am safe, but instead I let the relief of sleep wash over me..

3 hours later and I'm rudely awoken, my obnoxiously loud ringtone filling the stuffy air. A small warmth is built within me when I see the name, but it's replaced with disappointment when Spanish cursing, coming from a mouth that wasn't my girlfriends, echoes the phone instead.

“dios mio. Tu novia cree que estás muerto, ¿verdad?”
I frown, trying to translate it into English.

Its followed by: “¡ella no habla español! aquí, déjame hacerlo.” a voice I recognise, at least.
The same voice speaks again. “Hola, Carlota. It 's Ale. Are you in Spain?”

“Jus’ got here about 4 hours ago.” I yawn tiredly after I stop speaking.

Defensively, Alexia says “Then why did you not text Mapi to tell her so. She's been pissing herself scared.”

I groan, realising my mistake. “Sorry, Ale. Dozed off. Is she alright?”

“She's chewed off 7 nails and the skin on her lips, does that help?”

Frowning, I ask: “Why didn't she just call me herself?

“Something about not wanting to be pushy. Don't tell her I called you, text her and I'll give her the phone.”

“Alright, thanks Ale.”

She hung up and no doubt removed the record of the call, leaving me to message the phone like nothing happened.

Sorry for not messaging you earlier, baby. Safe and sound tucked away in some fancy hotel. Love you loads!

She replies almost instantly.

It's fine, babygirl! Glad your safe, sending your tickets and a special something over, it should arrive soon.

I roll my eyes, already knowing what the special gift is. If I wasn't lying to myself I would admit that having her name splayed across my back gives me a feeling of pride in my chest.

How was training today?

Shit-eating. Better be overprepared rather than underprepared seems to be Jona's motto. 

I giggle, knowing what training before a big game can be like. I also know that, despite her words, she enjoys it. Barcelona has a real family feel to it, everyone friendly and supportive of each other. I'm jealous, I know it. And I've never wanted to move to Barca more than now. Let's just hope clubs still want me.

Bless you. I know you love it really.

Yeah. Yeah, I do. Wish you were here, bebita.

It's almost like she read my mind.

I wish I was there too. My managers gonna get me closer to you.

I pray. If he can't, then he isn't doing what I pay him to do.

If he doesn't I'm personally finding you a new one. Need you here with me.

I knew as soon as the relationship started that long distance would be difficult. It meant space and not an easy way to communicate between us.

Love you, Maps.

Love you more, babygirl.

(Yeah. Haha. Short cause ya girls lazy. Atleast next chapter will be good quality. Been distracted by Wembley. Love ya<3)