Chapter Nine

PACKING WAS REALLY HARD. I mean, how was I supposed to fit all my nothing into my non–existent bag? 

Ok, so, I'm being a bit dramatic. I was given bag to carry all my things in, extra clothes, some moral money, and golden drachmas – large, pure gold coins with various Greek gods one side and the Empire State Building on the other. I also added my slingshot, ammo, and a toothbrush. As if I was going to brush my teeth in the wild. 

Percy was given roughly the same things. Annabeth got all our healing stuff, a canteen of nectar and a Ziploc bag of ambrosia squares. I recognized the nectar as the golden liquid that had been by my bed when I woke up. The ambrosia looked like little lemon bars, but with more of a honey-ish color. Chiron explained it was god food – a little bit would heal us, but too much would kill us all the same as other mortals. 

Apparently it tasted like your favorite thing in the world. I can confirm that now, but I at the time I was too nervous to even test that out. I mean, Chiron wasn't exactly clear on what the "vaporize your molecules" limit was. 

Annabeth was also bringing a magic Yankees cap. According to her it had been a birthday present from her mom. She also brought a book on famous classical architecture. 

"In case I get bored," Annabeth explained.

I stared at her, flabbergasted. Then again, it was written in Ancient Greek, which demigods could read easily, so I guess it made a little more sense. 

Annabeth's weapon was a long bronze knife, hidden in her shirt sleeve. I wasn't sure how we were getting that past anyone. 

Grover was disguised as human, hiding his goat legs with long pants and fake feet and his horns in a rasta-style cap. Normally horns wouldn't be an issue, but his hair flattened when wet just enough to reveal them, so it was just in case. Grover's "food" supply was cap metals and apples, and his "weapon" was a set of reed pipes from his dad. 

I was at an impasse. Chiron had told us not to tell anyone at camp what was happening. After all, this wasn't just the end of the world. A fight between the gods would be a fight between their kids, too. It would make everyone panic. 

But also I wanted to tell PB about what I had seen. I had promised to tell her, and she had been so nervous about it. I couldn't just ignore her. 

The problem ended up being solved for me. As we reached the bottom of Half-Blood Hill, PB was waiting for us. She wasn't there for me, though. She was there for Annabeth and Grover. 

"Here." PB handed each of them small bags. "I made sure to get snacks from the store. I'm sure you got some already but...you know...can't have to many." PB scratched the back of her neck and stared hard at the ground. She glanced nervously at Percy and I and mumbled, "Sorry about not getting you anything. I only had so many drachmas, and – and I didn't know what you'd like."