(006) the devil, how fitting

- ͙۪۪̥˚┊❛the devil, how fitting❜┊˚͙۪۪̥◌
s1: e5 the handmaiden's tale

long ago when european royals grew bored with palace balls they took a page from the peons and added some pageantry. couture and canapés are just another saturday night until you add a mask. but preparing for a ball is an event in itself which is why queens invented handmaidens.

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

"KOTI MENTIONED SOMETHING about a custom-made corset and I hear there are wigs involved?" Serena states, as the three girls lie spread out on Blair's bed however Ophelia couldn't help but find herself uninvolved in the conversation, her mind constantly replaying with the events of the night of the sleepover.

After her friends had left, she and the Harris boy had become like magnets not being able to break free from one another and before the girl could stop herself she had ended up in his bed. Although the pair had already shared some intimate moments, this went further than that.

"It's a masquerade ball, you have to conceal your identity." Blair tells the two girls, Serena's full attention remaining on her but Ophelia's remains within her own mind. "...But I do have something special planned for Nate tonight, it's a game. It's a scavenger hunt."

The Astor finally finds herself being pulled back into the conversation at the mention of Nate's name. She knew Blair was still unaware about what happened between them and as much as she was hoping it would stay that way she wasn't sure how long it would. After a gossip girl post exposing her returning to a bed which wasn't her own the previous weekend, he had been none stop calling her however she was yet to have answered.

She continues to listen to Blair's words, her stomach twisting as she describes her plan to her and Serena however she wasn't sure if it was because she was jealous about Nate or didn't want Blair to get hurt. "If he finds me before midnight when the masks come off, he can claim his prize."

Serena's eyes meet Ophelia's from where they sit beside one another on the bed but neither of them are brave enough to say what they are actually thinking, not yet anyway. "I just figured after everything that's happened or hasn't happened. I should find some way to make it special."

"That's really romantic Blair, really." Serena tells the girl and then both their eyes fall on the Astor who has remained silent beside them. Once the girl looks up upon realising both of their heads are turned in her direction she nods her head in agreement, "It sounds great Blair."

"I was hoping you'd both be my ladies." The Waldorf says, the girls opposite her both instantly filling with guilt unknown to the brunette. Despite their reasoning being different it all came down to the same someone, Nate Archibald. "Would you like to give the last clue?" she asks the Van der Woodsen.

The blonde agrees however it's clear to the Astor that she's not completely sure about the idea however Blair attempts to reaffirm the idea to her, "Tonight is all about starting over."

Having seen Blair eventually forgive Serena for what happened, gives Ophelia some hope that if what the blonde boy says to her ever comes out, there is a chance for forgiveness but then it comes crashing down on the girl. Although what Serena had done was worse by sleeping with the boy, it almost seemed as though the words he had spoken to Ophelia would hurt Blair more.

The sound of the girl's phone ringing from the bedside table causes her to excuse herself for a moment however on hearing her father's request for her to come home, she grabs her stuff leaving the two girls alone once again.