11 | Pacing

A/N: So, I've decided there's gonna be an interlude every five chapters! That means there will be two more: one after chapter fifteen, and one right before the epilogue. Whatever you guys wanna know about most will be the subject of the next interlude...assuming that it's not massive spoilers that I obviously can't just hand out. Be sure to comment what YOU wanna know, and be sure to celebrate because we are past the halfway mark, yay! This is where things heat up. :D

Oh, and sorry for the cliffhanger in advance. *insert evil laugh* >:)

~~~~~~

At first, Nicholas had been relieved that the dragons had stopped their ridiculously combative water fight. He was even more thrilled when Luminous began flapping about near the sails, countering the wind and making the ship come to a stop. The rocking lessened enough for his stomach to stop trying to climb up his throat and escape his body, allowing the young man to glance up at the piercing whistle and see his brother frantically waving. "A ship's approaching!"

The news made his newly settled stomach drop, and the brief relief was soon overcome by consternation. On slightly shaky legs, he followed the twins aft to peer out at sea and see the fast-approaching silhouette on the horizon. "Well," he muttered to himself, "that can't be good."

"Something's wrong with Luminous," Renata said, her gaze returning to the crow's nest were Nathan was conversing with the white dragon. "No, wait...Silveran's saying...it's got something to do with Nia."

Nick's heart clenched in fear at his beau's words, and he hurriedly raced to the main mast and began climbing. Seems I've finally found my sea legs, he thought to himself wryly as he finally reached his siblings. Niaomi was lying sprawled at the bottom of the basket, the Dragon's Kiss on her forehead glowing brightly. There was barely enough room for him to shimmy inside, but he managed to do so, propping his sister up.

" - didn't do anything!" Nate was arguing, running a hand through his curls in a characteristic sign of agitation. "It was a vision, quite obviously. ...what do you mean it didn't 'feel' like a vision?...well, how could I have even - ...oh, now you're just being ridiculous!"

Luminous's growl seemed to vibrate through the ship, and Nicholas decided now was the time to cut in. "Hate to break up the party, but we've got a possible enemy ship heading straight towards us, we're dead in the water, and Nia's out of it. So there's no time to squabble; right now, she's fine. We have other problems to deal with."

My Rider always comes first, the she-dragon protested, pining him in place with one large ivory iris.

"She's not hurt, just unconscious. By the way her mark is glowing, I'm guessing she's having a vision like Nate said - "

"Thank you!"

He glared at his brother. "And besides, if you don't stop hovering about, we'll no doubt soon be boarded. Nia can stay up here where she's safe, and I'll look after her, alright?" While she didn't answer, Luminous did descend to the deck with a thud. Sighing in relief, he turned to the other man and told him, "You need to head back down and help the others. I'll provide as much assistance as I can from up here."

"What we need is to get the ship moving again. Can you ask Emere if he can hover like Luminous did, but in the opposite direction to propel the ship forwards?"

"Sure thing, but I'm not sure we'll pick up the speed we need in time."

Nathan grinned. "That's why we're planning a preemptive strike."

He scurried back down to the deck before Nick could ask what he meant. Landing with a light thud, he hurried towards the twins, who were already with their dragons. Ren, seeing him approach, informed him of their current plan. "The dragons have to take off; the ship needs to be as light as possible in order for us to pick up enough speed to lose our pursuers."