Chapter 1

Many people say the best time to visit New York City is the summer but that's not true. Visiting in winter is so much better because you get to witness all the Christmas magic this city has to offer.

Everything sparkles and shines brightly, making everything else seem a lot less important. I wish the world would always look like this but it doesn't and maybe it wouldn't be special anymore if it did.

Walking through the decorated streets always feels like a scene in a movie. It's surreal but so beautiful at the same time. The holiday season is by far my favorite one, even if this one started with a bit of a downer but I try to ignore that.

I tug my red scarf a little tighter around my neck to keep the cold away. The temperature is dropping every day and I wouldn't be surprised if we soon get the first snowflakes for this winter.
Maybe I shouldn't be too excited over the snow as it always complicates things and causes so much chaos in a city like New York, but I can't help it but to love it.

Back when I was a child and we visited my grandparents, I would spend the whole day outside in the snow because they lived in the suburbs where the snow didn't turn into puddles right away. Sometimes, when I walk through Central Park, I still feel the excitement from my childhood because the snow doesn't melt there as fast either.

The best time to go on a snow walk is in the early mornings because there are barely any other people around and the snow is untouched. Everything is quiet and peaceful then. I smile at the memory of that. Hopefully, I'll get to go on a snow walk soon.

I stop in front of a window and look at the fake Christmas tree they put up to show their ornaments. They reflect the string lights around the tree, making it look like tiny fairies dance over the surface. How can someone not enjoy the holiday season?
It's filled with so much light and joy. There's no reason to be grumpy during days like these, not even a break-up.

Although, is it really a break-up if the other person cheated on you?
Breaking up is kind of mandatory then, isn't it?
At least when she doesn't regret it and tells you it was just for fun anyway.

I shake my head to get rid of these thoughts. Thinking about that will only ruin my day and I won't let that happen again.

I walk along the windows and look at the other decorations they have here. The temptation to buy something is definitely present but I already bought something two days ago. Jill sighed when I brought home the little Christmas tree but I couldn't help myself. But I will have to restrict myself since most of my belongings are still in carton boxes stacked in the little bay window in Jill's apartment.

After breaking up with my ex, I couldn't stand living in the apartment anymore and moved into my best friends apartment. It's small and there isn't much space but she offered and I took it. Otherwise I would have had to look up hotels or rather motels because I can't afford living in a hotel in New York City. Until I found another apartment for me to move it, I should probably hold back with shopping decorations.

I sigh and take a step back to get a better view of the huge wooden piece they have set up in the window. It's hard to tell what it is exactly.
Probably something between a tree and... a horizontal bench? Maybe it's art and that's why I don't get it.

Suddenly, there's a fast movement in my right peripheral but before I can react, someone runs into me.
I lose my balance and stumble to the ground, hitting my knees.

They seem to be in a rush and jump up and above me to keep running. I rub my knee and glare after them.
Sometimes I forget how busy the city can get but I've never been run over by another person.

They yell something at a taxi that's waiting nearby. But before they reach it, an older man gets into the backseat and closes the door. The taxi drives off and they curse loudly.
I guess, not everyone is in a festive spirit in December.