𝐨. 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐠𝐨𝐝𝐬 𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐬𝐜𝐚𝐫𝐞𝐝 𝐬𝐡𝐢𝐭𝐥𝐞𝐬𝐬

prologue

prologue

⤷ 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙜𝙤𝙙𝙨 𝙖𝙧𝙚 𝙨𝙘𝙖𝙧𝙚𝙙 𝙨𝙝𝙞𝙩𝙡𝙚𝙨𝙨

THE THRONE ROOM of Olympus was never quiet.

There was always Zeus and Poseidon arguing over whether sky or sea disasters are more spectacular, Hephaestus attempting to make fools of Aphrodite and Ares, and Artemis and Apollo challenging each other to impossible archery contests.

But today, quiet was broken with angry shouts. It was the day of the winter solstice: the first since the end of World War II.

Having seen the destruction their children had wrought upon the world, the three oldest brothers fought amongst themselves over whether they should pledge to stop having demigod children.

The oath had been Athena's idea. In order to stop powerful, dangerous demigods from being born, powerful, dangerous gods had to stop siring them. Hera supported it, of course. She had always hated demigods, especially the children of Zeus.

Then thunder boomed and the arguing stopped. A young girl had appeared in the center of the throne room, walking in a trance-like state with a white dress hanging just below her knees.

"The Oracle." Apollo rose from his throne. "What are you-"

He was cut off as green light overtook the eyes of the girl, her mouth dropping open as thick mist escaped.

"Forgotten daughter raised in blood,

Upon her blade the world is judged.

Power dies in the darkest night,

The strongest minds bend to her might.

A Half-Blood of the loving seas,

Will force Olympus to its knees. "

Then she was gone, leaving a stunned Olympus in her wake. It was silent, before the throne room erupted into pure chaos.

"A demigod will bring about the fall of Olympus?!"

"The prophecy said 'a Half-Blood of the loving seas,'" thundered Zeus, "Poseidon, it's your child!"

Poseidon turned to Hades, "'Power dies in the darkest night.' It's a child of the Underworld!"

The Lord of the Dead pointed a crooked finger at Zeus. "Upon her blade the world is judged.' That would be your daughter, God of Law."

Arguments erupted throughout the gilded room, family turning upon one another as all panicked at the thought of another great war: this time, on Olympus.

"SILENCE!" Zeus's voice resonated throughout the room, drawing twelve pairs of expectant eyes towards him.

"Then it is as Athena said," he stated, "We must take the oath. We cannot risk Olympus being brought to heel by some Half-Blood."

So, the Lords of the Sky, Sea, and Underworld swore on the River Styx to never sire another demigod child.

But, the brothers seemed to have forgotten that they weren't the only gods who could bring powerful half-bloods into the world.

After all, the Oracle was never wrong.

published: 12

published: 12. 25. 23