𝐢𝐢𝐢. 𝐢 𝐤𝐢𝐜𝐤 𝐬𝐨𝐦𝐞 𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐦𝐞𝐬 𝐜𝐚𝐛𝐢𝐧 𝐚𝐬𝐬

chapter three

chapter three

⤷ 𝙞 𝙠𝙞𝙘𝙠 𝙨𝙤𝙢𝙚 𝙝𝙚𝙧𝙢𝙚𝙨 𝙘𝙖𝙗𝙞𝙣 𝙖𝙨𝙨

"READY, SET, GO!"

Anya watched with wide eyes as Percy pulled ahead of the other canoes. He wasn't paddling faster, or even pushing harder. It seemed like the water was carrying him to the other side, spraying the campers behind him as if he were on a jet ski.

But, that would be impossible. Unless... No.

She turned away from the water just as Percy reached the other side. He looked up giddily to find Anya's frame: he was finally good at something! Sure, it wasn't the sort of heroic skill people expected from the kid who killed the minotaur, but it was still comforting, in a way. Percy's face fell when he saw her walking back towards the cabins. For some reason, it hurt that she wasn't watching him. He shook his head. Why did he care?

Anya was so immersed in her thoughts that she hardly noticed as Luke popped up next to her.

"Hey Stasia," he said cheerfully.

"Mmh."

"Wow, Percy shoot you in the back too?"

Anya laughed, shaking her head. "No, just Chiron." The two walked in silence for a second as she recollected her thoughts. "Hey Luke... do you remember Thalia?"

His face darkened. "Every day."

"No, I mean the signs that she was... Zeus's kid." Anya winced- this was not how the words were supposed to come out.

Luke contemplated for a second. "Well, she had blue eyes. Like the sky, sort of." He narrowed his eyes at Anya, who was kicking a rock down the dirt path. "What about it?"

"Well, I've been having these dreams," Anya looked up at Luke, the shadows of his face seeming to elongate, "like the ones I had when you, Annabeth, and Thalia came to camp. And... y'know, Percy was chased by a Fury, just like Thalia. The minotaur came after him, and no one has seen it in centuries. He made the toilets explode, and he can canoe... he basically excels at anything to do with water."

Anya glanced back up at the older boy, who seemed to be glowering at the ground. "Luke?"

"Yeah, uh," he shook his head before smiling brightly at Anya, "I was thinking he might be Hermes', but that makes more sense. Maybe you're a child of Athena."

She laughed, "Could probably pass as one if I bleach my hair."

Even as they joked around, Anya still felt that something was off about Luke. She asked, "Is something wrong?"

"No," he smiled but it didn't reach his eyes. "Just excited to destroy you in the arena later today."

And just like that, the moment was gone. Anya raised her eyebrows, smirking. "Not a chance. Did you forget who has the winning streak right now?"