10: Oh, Brother!

The door to the throne room, where King Xavier and Mia sat, opened, and Ace walked in. Behind him was a man in a black hooded robe, covering his head to his toe.

Ace, in the last few months, had stayed close to the capital. Xavier explained it was to make sure he would be the first to know if anything went wrong since Edward was no longer with them. Mia didn't realise this until Xavier told her the entire truth.

Ace apologised for not telling her the truth but told her he had sworn an oath to Xavier. She understood his reasons and held nothing against him. The king had put all these measures in place so nothing would take him by surprise.

The next few days after Mia found out the truth were brutal, she had to readjust her life and think about the truth. She had caught herself crying helplessly and not wanting to be consoled. It didn't make things better, and she just wanted to be told it was all a dream. She didn't cry in the king's presence; she knew how much pain it brought him. He was already going through enough of that.

The king wanted her to be strong; he told her she needed to because she might have to lead the war, but she didn't want to be strong or lead the war; she wanted to fight beside her mate and king. The burden was on her shoulders, and it didn't feel good.

Mia hadn't seen the blonde lady in white since the truth came out. There was no reason to; she already knew what her presence meant.

The council of elders and the maiden's court, through their dedication and presence, told her she would never be alone through it all.

Just like the warrior's institute swore to her, the news of the Alpha King's sickness had remained contained. It was for the best, as the last thing anyone wanted was the people taken up in panic. Everyone expected the presence of the king in the coming war, and it gave them hope. Many will lose hope if they learn about the king's state of health before time. They had to do whatever was necessary to keep that from happening.

"My king and queen." Ace and the one behind him also turned his head.

"You came later than you should have." Xavier pointed out.

"I know, my king. I was taken by surprise."

Xavier's eyes narrowed at him. "By what?"

"Him," Ace said and turned to the one who came with him. Their eyes also followed.

At that exact moment, the one behind him took off the hood of his coat, and, behold, it was Edward.

Mia rose to her feet and covered her mouth, shocked and unable to hide it.

"Edward," Xavier called out; his tone was filled with surprise, but he tried to tame it.

"My king," he said, dropping on one knee before them. "I began my journey to Wahala a week ago, and it took a while, but we are here."

Xavier gripped the arm of the throne seat and rose to his feet. Once on his feet, he climbed down the stairs and walked towards where Edward was. His hands reached to touch Edward's face as if making sure the one before him was real.

"It's me; it's me, Xavier," Edward assured him with a bright smile.

"Good," Xavier answered, and he slammed his head against his, sending his brother staggering back from him.

"What the hell, Xavier?" Edward exclaimed, and his hand ran up to rub over his forehead to see if there was a cut.

"You left without saying goodbye!" Xavier growled at him, and before he could open his mouth and defend himself, he punched him. This sent him off his feet, falling to the ground immediately.