11: Love is patient

Edward couldn't wait to meet Kailani, and the thought that he would be with her soon made his heart race incredibly. His entire being testified to how much he had missed her. He would wrap his arms around her the minute he saw her-after he apologised for the last three years and for leaving.

"I see you're all set to meet Kailani," Ace said, walking toward him just as he was about to open the portal that would take him to Soule using silent chants.

"Yes."

"Good, then I'm coming with you." He said that and came to stand beside him.

A frown settled on Edward's face, and it didn't leave. "I didn't know I needed your help to find my mate."

Ace didn't glance at him as he spoke. "Believe me, I know how the bond of mates works, and after three years of it being broken, it would take a while for it to come alive. In the last three years, I've visited Soule more than I can count to see Kailani, and unless you want to search through that entire region, wasting many precious hours in search of my sister, I suggest you come with me."

Edward's frown lingered. "Come with you?"

"Three years, and you already forget your magic will not work with me around. You no longer have dark magic, so you need me to open the portal to Soule and tell you exactly where to find Kailani." He was right with his words, but Edward didn't want to tell him that. He was a know-it-all, cocky bastard in his eyes. Ironically, that was the same name Xavier called him when they were younger.

"Well, I would still be fine on my own if you just told me where to go and go away."

"You are right; that could work, but it won't be fun." He said it with a smirk dancing at the corner of his face. "There are a few perfect spots I use," he said, moving further on.

Edward rolled his eyes but followed behind. "How's she? Kailani?"

"She's Kailani." was the response he could give.

"I heard you have been of great help to the kingdom in my absence." He tried small talk and then found out he was terrible at it.

"I have only done what I could to prepare the kingdom for the coming war."

"Noble as always," he huffed under his breath.

Ace raised a brow. "You don't like that?"

He didn't answer. "How is the princess, Xoe? I remember Xavier telling me you had a thing for her." He pointed out, which seemed to change the topic and make Ace the centre of attention.

Ace looked away from him immediately.

Finally, something that would shut him up. Edward thought but then felt terrible afterwards.

"You do not have to tell me about it," he said, adding, "It's not like fate lets us have a happy love story. Look at me and Xavier; the closer we get to happiness, the farther away it goes."

Ace shook his head and said, "It's fine. The beauty of love is in the waiting." He said so, and Edward had to agree with him.

"The last time I checked, she was in Yelo, Klean, where her husband lives with his family. It's not very far from the capital, but not too close," he said.

Edward nodded and asked. "You know your way through to her?"

Ace chuckled. "I have been to the nine kingdoms in the last three years, my prince. I know Yelo like the back of my hand."

Edward rolled his eyes; he shouldn't have asked, "What took you into those kingdoms?" He couldn't help asking.

Ace didn't hesitate, and it felt like he had expected his question. "Honestly, curiosity. Sometimes, I feel bored, and other times, I practice strengthening myself. I almost died three years ago while trying to portal the army through, and I knew I had to increase my strength. That has helped me greatly."

Ace stopped walking and waved his hands around, and a small portal opened. He stretched it further, and the portal grew wide.

"What did you find then? You must have found something in those kingdoms."

"I found ruin and destruction. Foth had brought about the total ruin of the four kingdoms it had invaded in the past decade. It is inhabitable and will be for the next few decades. It is horrible, considering I aided a few of their destructions," he said, holding a tone of remorse in his voice.

"You are not the same person."

Ace nodded but didn't seem to believe him. "I guess."

He needed to change the subject. "You have seen her since she got married? The princess?"

"I did for the first few months, then I realised there was no point staying close to someone I couldn't have. The pain killed me every day. I go to Klean, but I stay off Yelo for both of our sakes. I promised to wait for her, and I will do that."

They stepped through the now-opened portal, which led to Soule, and once in, Ace pointed to the cottage ahead. "That has been Kailani's home for the last three years. She refused the royal villa in Soule and settled for this instead. It's quiet and comfortable; I believe she is just like me; she prefers the simple things in life." Ace said that and took his leave.

Edward stepped to the front door with his heart racing and knocked on it. He received silence first, and then he knocked again, and this time he heard a voice from inside-the voice of Kailani-and his heart skipped in his chest. It was the best day of his life, as it turned out.

He smiled when the door opened to reveal Kailani. She had a curious look, replaced with much surprise once she realised it was him.

"Edward," she called in a voice filled with disbelief.

"It's me, my love." He answered and took a step further towards her.

She gasped, "I am not dreaming."

He shook his head and said, "No, you are not dreaming, my love; I am here. It's been three years, and I am here."

She stepped out of the way to let him in, and he entered the house and shut the door.

She said nothing for the first few minutes that passed, and they just stared at each other.

Edward could not take the silence; he would take anything but the silence, and so he began, "I am sorry for leaving."

She said nothing else; instead, she stepped towards him, closing the space between them and kissing his lips passionately.

He didn't hesitate to kiss back.

Yes, this was the last thing he expected; he wanted them to speak first and get to an understanding of things, specifically why he had to leave, but that would have to wait.

His arms went around her waist and pulled her closer to his body, tighter than they already were. How much he had missed this, and now that he was back, he would never give it up.