Chapter 24

My breath is pulled from my body in a sharp exhale.

Ben is standing in my doorway, his warm, dark eyes full of hope and mischief. How did he get into my building? Did he see that I called?

He's wearing a fitted black t-shirt that clings to his chest muscles and dark-wash jeans. His hair is styled, and his mouth is slightly parted. The sight of him makes me ache inside.

"How did you –?" I ask breathlessly.

He smirks. "Your mom gave me the passcode."

"Oh. I see," I say, blushing.

He looked tired but relieved, and we had an entire conversation with just that look. He got my call. I know he did. It takes everything I have not to wrap myself in his long, muscular arms. My heart is pounding so hard.

"I was just on my way out..." I start and then take a shuddering breath. When his eyes meet mine again, I feel the weight of every ticking moment of silence. His jaw flexes, and we stare at each other. When he swallows, the dimple on his cheek flickers.

"You called me," he says with a cute smile. "I saw your number on my screen."

"Why didn't you answer then?" I ask.

He scratches a day's worth of stubble on his jaw. "Because I didn't want to talk over the phone. I wanted to talk in person."

"Oh."

"Can I come in?" he asks, dimple deepening.

I nod, taking a step backward to let him walk inside. I turn to face him, feeling his hand on my elbow. "Firstly, Happy Birthday," he whispers. He rests his forehead against mine before pulling back, meeting my eyes. "Secondly, I missed the hell out of you." His grin gets more prominent as his hands snake around my waist.

"I missed you too."

"I'm sorry I've avoided you." His smile wilts dramatically. "But I know you wanted your space."

"I'm sorry I didn't show up at the bar –"I start to say, but he places a finger over my lips, silencing me.

"It's okay. I fucked up. I didn't tell you about Stephanie. I punched Steven. And I left Costa Rica without saying goodbye. I deserved it."

When he says this, the moment between us grows a little heavy. I shake my head, pull back, and remember how Michelle told me she saw him on a date with someone. "I don't understand what you want from me. If it's forgiveness, I forgive you."

He looks wounded. "Okay. Talk to me," he says, bending to whisper the words in my ear. "Tell me how angry you were with me for keeping something from you. For how stupid I acted at the wedding. For how selfish I was to leave you."

"You broke my heart," I say quietly, but he's still bent close, and I know he's heard me. "It was so shitty of you not to tell me about Stephanie. And it was even shittier of you to punch Steven. But nothing hurt more than you leaving without saying goodbye. But after how shitty everything felt and ended, I'm glad it did -"

"I'm so sorry, Megs."

My chest tightens when he calls me this, and I run my hands up and down his chest. " - it made me realize how much I wanted to be with you."

"I want to be with you, too."

I drop my gaze to his chest. "Michelle saw you."

"Saw me?"

"At Franki's Pizzeria."

He ran a hand over his face, and realization dawned. "Megan, I was having dinner with my sister, Claudia."