Chapter 6

The following day, I woke up to Michelle's soft snores in the bed beside me. I pry open my eyes, blinded by the early morning sun shining through the patio doors. I kick off my sheets, feeling hot and bothered. I groan, dropping my head into my hands. My dream messed with my head. I wish I were still asleep, submerged in my dream world: I was sitting on a beach. The sun warmed my skin, and the wind tangled my hair. Steven appeared as if from nowhere, all smiles and pulled me into his arms. But when I leaned in to kiss him, he morphed into Ben. Confused, I pulled away from him in a panic. I tried to resist Ben's lips, but when I pulled away, he pinned both hands above my head, forcing me into the cool, damp sand. The second our naked bodies touched, I gave into his lips, kissing him wildly. It was enough to arouse and frighten me before my mind involuntarily woke me up.

I fall back onto the mattress and throw my arm over my eyes, trying to fall back asleep. I try everything: I count sheep, take deep breaths, kick off my pajama bottoms, and wear just my panties for the utmost leg comfort. I want to go back to the realm of my dream.

There was something so real and so intense about my feelings for Ben. I wanted him. Like I want to feel Ben inside me right now. This sudden realization not only excites me but petrifies me. I only now realize there is no way I will sleep with these crazy feelings welling up inside of me.

I can't help but reflect on my night with Steven, though. We had a great time together. He was sweet and courteous and even offered his suit jacket to me when I was cold. While everyone else skinny-dipped and splashed around the ocean, we had a mature conversation about our jobs, hobbies, and families.

I genuinely like him. He's cultured, even though he grew up on a small town in Connecticut. He's also very different from me. He likes steak and potatoes, while I like chicken and broccoli. He likes lifting weights, while I prefer spin class. He admitted to disliking the last two seasons of The Office, while I found those to be the best two seasons. But even despite our differences, we hit it off.

Of course, Ben was still in the back of my mind. How could I possibly forget his dramatic exit from dinner? But after some serious reflection, I put his behaviour into perspective. It had nothing to do with what happened between us. He was tired. He admitted to jetlag. Hell, I was tired too. We had travelled a long way, eaten a lot of food and consumed concerning amounts of alcohol. I'm surprised we all didn't call it an early night.

It would be impossible to believe Ben's behaviour had something to do with us. I decided we needed to get our friendship back on track for a few good reasons:

Losing him as a friend would be like losing an appendage.I need to enjoy this vacation (because I rarely travel).If Steven and I do progress, I need Ben to like him and vice-versa.

I sigh, sitting up on the edge of the bed. I rub my face and decide to wake Michelle up for some company. I walk over to her bed and poke her bare shoulder. She moans and uses the back of her hand to wipe away the drool trickling down the side of her mouth.

She squints up at me. "What time is it? And why are you waking me up right now? I am so hungover."

"Let's get up and start our day," I suggest. "We are on vacation in a beautiful country. The sun is shining. Birds are chirping. And I could use a coffee."

"Have room service bring you a coffee," she moans. "I'm so tired."

I poke her again. "Please, Michelle."

She swats at me with her hand. "You have no idea how much I want to punch you. It's so early." She sits up on the edge of her bed, smoothing a hand over her messy hair. "But if I am getting up, Stephanie is getting up too."

I follow Michelle into Stephanie's room and watch her roll onto the bed beside her. "Wake up, Steph. Megan needs coffee."

"Go away," Stephanie mumbles. "My head is pounding."