Part 31

WARNER

I pause while shifting a log on the fire, considering how best to answer. My guess, she won't appreciate it if I say I followed her smell. Human woman would rather you didn't mention you can sniff them out. Plus, I doubt she'd believe me unless I revealed my little hairy secret.

Still, I stick as close to the truth as I can. The idea of lying to Zoey makes my gut twist uncomfortably.

"When you were camping, I recognized your truck. I was worried about you out in the woods at night. So, I followed the trail to the lake and saw your campsite." Only, the trail I followed wasn't one humans could pick up.

When I glance over, Zoey is focused on her cooking, but she nods in acknowledgement.

"And today, I came by to say hi. To apologize for crashing your friend date." And to discover if this attraction is mutual. My wolf has locked onto her mating scent, and I can't seem to stop pining after her. "I saw you ducking into the woods when I was parking. Wasn't sure where you were headed but figured you didn't plan to go far." I had settled on the steps of the back porch, looking forward to surprising her. But Zoey never came back. "When you were gone for a half hour, I worried." More like panicked. At the first few drops of rain, I knew it wouldn't be long before her trail was gone, and I'd have no way of finding her. "I went the direction you did, hoping I'd stumble onto you." By the end of my rescue mission, that's exactly how it was. Once the rain came, all trace of Zoey washed away. I couldn't find her.

A shadow of that panic re-emerges now with the memory of her soaked through, clutching that tree as if it might somehow keep her alive.

But I'm pulled out of the fear of what could have been by the approach of her, safe and whole and carrying two plates with steaming sandwiches.

"Well, I don't want to condone stalking. But I'm glad you showed up. Not that you're any more equipped to fight a wolf-bear then I am."

Little does she know.

"What if it had been a mountain lion?" I ask.

Zoey scowls, setting the plates down on the coffee table in front of the fire and pushing Bruce's head away when he goes to sniff at them. "That is ridiculous. Seriously. It's unacceptable. How are there that many large predators in one place?" She collapses on the couch with a disgruntled huff. "Nature should set clear boundaries."

I chuckle, settling next to her. Close, but not touching.

"I'm sure nature will take your complaint into consideration." The plate is warm as I rest it in my lap.

This whole situation feels practically domestic. And I crave more of it.

"Stop stalling." Zoey pokes my shoulder, playfulness in her smirk. "Take your punishment."

"Yes ma'am." Not that I need any convincing to eat the mouth-watering creation. The smell alone has my stomach demanding its fair share.

One bite and I'm drowning in savory, melted goodness.

"Fucking hell," I mumble around a mouthful. After I swallow, I gaze at Zoey, sure my obsession with her is shining from my eyes. "What kind of grilled cheese is this?"

"The kind made with my preferred cheese," she teases before taking her own bite and humming appreciation at her work.

Unfortunately, my sandwich only lasts three more bites. I could've eaten half a dozen and still wanted more.

After collecting our dishes and washing them, I return to the couch in front of the fire, thankful for the continuous loud pounding of the rain outside. Perfect excuse to stick around longer.

"Your clothes should be dry soon." Zoey sits on her side of the couch, legs pulled into her chest, chin resting on her knees as she watches me move around.

"Don't worry about me. I'm perfectly comfortable." Showing off, just a bit, I stretch my arms along the back of the couch, lounging in my terrycloth skirt.

"I don't know how. Even in this flannel tent I'm still chilly." She clutches the collar of her pajama top closed, and I notice the occasional quiver run through her body. Shiver aftershocks.

There's a blanket folded over the back of the couch. Leaning forward, I pull it off and drape the quilt over her shoulders. But as I begin to move back to my spot, I notice how Zoey sways toward me.

Like she wants to follow where I lead.

"Can I help warm you up?" My voice comes out deeper, with more suggestiveness than I meant. The offer should be selfless, and part of my brain is full of concern for Zoey. But there's still the animalistic section that can think of nothing other than touching her again.

"How do you plan on doing that?" Her eyes trace over me in the way I wish her fingers would.

I clear my throat and try to keep my tone lighthearted. "We could cuddle. I'm an expert cuddler."

Zoey purses her lips, but there's something in her gaze, a mixture of heat and humor, that gives me hope.

"I do love a good cuddle," she admits.

"Then, by all means. Use me as your body pillow." I recline on the couch's armrest, determined that if there's any more contact between us this evening, it'll be because Zoey wanted it.

Zoey only hesitates for a second before crawling toward me.

I try not to smirk in triumph.

"You're too muscly to be considered a pillow." Zoey crosses her arms on my pecks and rests her chin on them, maintaining eye contact. "Ever considered developing a bit of a belly?"

We're pressed together now, and I've never been more comfortable.

"That's the next part of the plan. First, I use my sexy, muscly body to draw you in, then I eat as many grilled cheeses as you're willing to make me until I get to your desired level of cushiness."

"So, it's my job to turn you into a pillow?" She raises one eyebrow.

I nod solemnly. "I'm here for your pleasure. Do whatever makes you happy."

Zoey's face shifts from humor to curiosity, her attention dropping to my lips. I keep still, holding onto my decision to let her make all the first moves.

But I should've known, Zoey doesn't move without asking questions first.

"Are you this flirty with everyone?"

"No." I shrug. "I'm friendly with everyone." Breaking my rule, I reach out to finger a lock of her damp hair, twining the strands around my finger. "I only flirt with you, Zoey Gunner."

Will admitting that I'm flirting scare her off?

She's not running even though I've followed her into the woods multiple times. She's got to know, I'm obsessed.

"Do you want to have sex with me?"

Author's note: Who doesn't love a blunt woman?? What is Warner doing to say?!