Part 25

WARNER

Roderick raises one eyebrow at me, but then lets me lead the way again. I move deeper into the woods. When the sound of the girls' laughter has almost faded, I pause by a tree with low thick limbs. There, I strip off my clothes, folding them neatly before setting them up in the tree. I hope no curious critters decide to claim them. I'd have a hard time explaining to highway patrol why I'm riding my bike home naked.

Make for a good story though.

Once I'm completely bare, I coax my wolf forward, letting the form envelope my body. The change is slower. If my wolf sensed danger or responded to the call of the full moon, then I'd be able to switch to four legs in a matter of seconds. But pulling the change out without the aid of adrenaline or lunar magic means I'm struggling for a minute or two, grimacing at the pain of my bones snapping and re-shaping.

Eventually, I'm in my wolf form, panting and shaking off the last lingering bit of discomfort. When I turn back toward the campsite, I see Roderick's wolf sitting calmly, waiting for me.

Another perk of being the pack leader. More magic means a faster change.

I huff at him as I trot by.

Soon, I'm staring out at the crackling fire and cackling women, my gray coat camouflaging me. Roderick settles at my side, his black coat just as good for spying.

Protecting, I correct myself.

"I think it's time," Zoey announces.

Time for what? I wonder.

"I knew it. That fourth beer was the turning point, huh?" Juliet says.

Roderick shifts beside me, probably also wondering what this is a preamble to.

"It was. Okay. I'm ready. This is happening." Zoey strolls toward the woods, and my protective nature stirs.

"Good luck," the librarian offers.

Zoey raises a fist in the air before declaring, "I'm going to pee outside! This is a special event!"

"Yeah, I'll mark it down in history books," Juliet calls after her, chuckling as she sinks back into her camping chair.

Zoey passes by our hiding spot, not even ten feet separating us. But we're hunters. We know how to hide well.

"I'm going to pee. Pee on a tree." Zoey sings to herself.

Even in wolf form, Roderick knows how to roll his eyes, which he does now as I stand to trot after her. I, on the other hand, have my jaws open in a wolfish grin.

Zoey keeps up her funny chant until she's a decent distance from her little camp sight. Coming to a stop, she turns in a circle, her movements hinting at a lack of balance.

"Now which one of you naughty boys is looking for a golden shower?"

If I were in human form, there's no way I'd be able to stifle my laughter. But I keep my jaws clenched shut and turn my back to give her privacy.

And I start making plans for how to convince this odd woman to be mine.

ZOEY

When my pants are around my ankles, I get the sense I'm being watched.

Super convenient.

I've got my back pressed against a tree; my thigh muscles put to use as I brace myself in a sitting position. Up until the creepy watching feeling, I was proud of myself for figuring out this whole pee-in-the-woods thing.

Whenever someone hears I'm from Denver, they automatically assume I spend my weekends climbing mountains and hiking mile long trails in the wilderness.

Yeah, no. I love looking at the gorgeous mountainous landscape, maybe taking a drive on the twisty mountain roads. But get out an explore them? I've never really been brave enough.

But here I am, camping with my new friend, using nature as my toilet, and I'm pretty sure there's something lurking in the nearby shadows.

This is why people pee surrounded by four walls. Such a vulnerable time requires shelter.

"Juliet? Did you follow me?" I call out.

That's one way to get close fast. Kind of like going to the bathroom together at a club. Would've preferred we discussed it first, but hey, I'll take a surprise Juliet over a surprise bear.

There's no answer.

Author's note: Thanks for reading! I never feel more vulnerable than when I have to pee in the woods lol.