Part 7

ZOEY

The Wild Rabbit sits on a corner of Main Street, alight with a warm glow and inviting laughter that spills out the front door as a couple exits, hand-in-hand. Above the door hangs a sign with the name and a hand painted bunny balancing a serving tray with a frothy mug of beer.

This atmosphere makes sense for a crochet group. Still, I can't help but wonder how the dynamic would be different if a group of women claimed half of The Rabbit Hole every Wednesday night to drink and stitch and gossip.

Would the atmosphere be tense? Or would the night end with the crocheters handing the bikers their asses at the pool tables?

I guess we'll never know.

The bike rocks as Warner parks it along the curb and pushes out the kick stand.

The man is a good driver. After the helmet issue, I was worried. But he kept to the speed limit, used his signals, and made it an all-around smooth ride. That combined with the vibration of the bike between my legs and the comforting heat radiating off his back has my lady parts taking all sort of notice.

Which is ridiculous. I've known the guy for maybe thirty minutes.

"You want to head inside? If not, we can go for a longer ride." The biker smiles at me over his shoulder.

At his suggestion, I realize I've been silently admiring Warner's driving skills while we sit on a now dormant motorcycle.

"Another time," I say as I dismount, even though I should be declining the invite with a firm but friendly refusal.

I'm attending Sip 'N Stitch to avoid my hermit tendencies. That does not mean I need to start flirting with a sexy man.

Maybe if I was a sex 'em up and wave goodbye kind of girl. A lot of times I wish I could be. Or, my vagina wishes I could be. I'm certain I've heard her crying out a time or two . . .

Get some dick! Any dick will do!

But that's a lie, and I know it. If I let anyone close, I'm bound to love them. That's just the way it goes. I don't seek people out because I'm fine on my own. But those who figure out a way into my life earn my love almost in spite of myself.

And Warner's helpful ways and charming smile are strong indicators I could like him. Which means I could love him.

I did not come to Pine Falls to find love. I came here to figure out if I could survive without it.