XVII

"Goodbye, Goodbye, Goodbye."

It's midnight, and apparently I won't be sleeping tonight. I retrieve a couple of bottles I had hidden under my bed a few hours ago and let the liquid burn my throat as I contemplate that these are probably my last hours of life.

I won't die in the initial bloodbath, but I don't think I'll last more than a week in the arena. I hold in my hands the note that arrived with a bouquet of flowers during dinner; just like last year, my parents had sent me a gift before the Games. But this year, the paper only bears their signatures and some kind of weird doodle: a bunch of random lines that, from a distance, resemble a rose.

The note makes no sense; I end up crumpling it before tossing it to the floor. I don't want garbage.

I walk out of my room and notice someone in the common area. My vision is somewhat blurry, making it challenging to identify the person, but after a couple of seconds, I know exactly who it is.

Cato is lounging on the couch, cup in hand, gazing at the city through the window; it's been a long time since I saw him so relaxed. But his peace doesn't last long, as he notices my presence almost instantly. He averts his gaze from the window and fixes his eyes on mine. An uncomfortable silence hangs in the room before he finally speaks.

"What are you doing here?" His tone is cold, as if my presence bothers him.

"I can't sleep."

He looks away again and sets the cup down on the table. Any trace of the calm he was feeling moments ago has vanished, and it's because of me.

"What's your problem with me?" I blurt out without thinking, and he looks at me with curiosity.

"What are you talking about?" he asks, crossing his arms.

"Oh, please," I say, laughing; he can't possibly think I'm that stupid. "You're sitting on the edge of the couch, ready to bolt at any moment, just because you saw me walking into the room."

He shakes his head, and I go to the dining area, where an Avox boy stands still, simply existing. Desserts haven't been cleared from the table yet, so I help myself to a couple of chocolates on a ceramic plate. My vision blurs, and a strong dizziness overtakes my body, prompting me to grasp onto a nearby chair for support with my free hand.

The Avox boy tries to help me, but I gesture for him to leave me alone. It was just a dizzy spell. I don't need a babysitter. I can take care of myself. Out of the corner of my eye, I see Cato walking away, and I stop him instantly, asking, "Where are you going?"

"Clove, it's midnight. I want to sleep, and you should too."

"Stop avoiding me," the words tumble out of my mouth.

Cato stops in his tracks, his posture tensing at my defiant tone. His gaze reflects a mix of frustration and anger.

"I'm not avoiding you," he murmurs, as if his words are delicate.

"At least you could make an effort not to make it so obvious," I retort. I'm tired of his games.

He stands in the middle of the room, holding his head in his hands as if trying to sort out his thoughts. But I think I've given him enough time to be stuck in his own head.

"Fine," I say finally, walking towards him. "You won't see me again anyway, so it's nice to know that you don't care at all."

He looks at me, bewildered, and I think I've said too much. I make a tremendous effort to stay strong as I walk decisively away from him, hearing his steps closely following. Upon entering my room, I slam the door shut, intending to hit him in the face because he's getting too close. I leave the plate of chocolates on my bed because I'm not hungry anymore.