Chapter 601 - Adding Oil to the Fire

The young noblemen surrounding Tang Wulin quickly moved out of the way. Turning to the voice, Tang Wulin was met with the approaching figures of the emperor and empress.

“What is your name?” Dai Tianling asked, sizing Tang Wulin up.

During the ceremony prior, Dai Tianling had been too far to get a good look at Tang Wulin. Now that they were only meters apart, he could see Tang Wulin for the tall and handsome young man he was. Tang Wulin’s sunny aura, large eyes, and long eyelashes made him easy to like. Even women would be jealous of his pretty eyes.

Tang Wulin bowed. “Greetings, Your Majesty. My name is Tang Wulin.”

Dai Tianling smiled. “I look forward to your performance in the Continent Young Elites Tournament.” He gave Tang Wulin a curt nod, then turned and left.

Tang Wulin stared at the retreating broad back, eyes bulging. Aren’t you just pouring oil on the fire now? 

The surrounding noblemen stared at Tang Wulin, their bloodlust having grown all the more thick.  But due to the emperor’s attitude to the matter, they dared not act against Tang Wulin there.

Is this what they call an absurd calamity? God damn it! Tang Wulin didn’t know whether to laugh or cry. Is there no way out of this? Fuck it! I’ll just not join the tournament!

“Good luck.” Turning to the voice, Tang Wulin saw Elder Cai walk past him, patting him on the shoulder.

“Can I just not participate?” Tang Wulin asked, forcing out a smile.

“You can.” Elder Cai paused, staring Tang Wulin right in the eye. “But let me remind you, this trip isn’t merely a diplomatic exchange. This is also a trial for you kids. It’s a trial to see who is worthy of joining the next generation of the Shrek Seven Monsters and entering the inner court. If you avoid this battle, then you will lose the qualifications to enter the inner court.”

Tang Wulin’s interest was piqued. For a student of Shrek Academy, joining the inner court and  the Shrek Seven Monsters was the most attractive opportunity possible.

“Furthermore, the tournament’s rewards are very generous. First place in the one-on-one tournament wins a soul bone,” Elder Cai said.

A soul bone? Tang Wulin’s eyes went wide. Since he possessed the right-hand soul bone in the spirit ascension platform, he was well aware of how powerful soul bones were. His Golden Dragon Dreadclaw was a trump card that had saved him on countless occasions already. Not only would obtaining another soul bone increase his strength by leaps and bounds, it would even benefit his body. It would make breaking the next seal on the Golden Dragon King a shade easier and bypass the need for spirit items. He would save boatloads of money! Screw it! I gotta win that spirit bone! I didn’t promise to be her boyfriend and she was just pranking me anyway. Hehe. Let’s see how you squirm if I really do become the champion! Tang Wulin clenched his fists with resolve.

“Boss, you’re so damn cool! You just casually picked up a princess!” Xie Xie exclaimed in admiration as he walked over and swung an arm around Tang Wulin’s shoulders.

“Get away from me,” Tang Wulin said, gloomy and annoyed.

“How could you do this to Gu Yue?” Yuanen Yehui earnestly said.

“Yeah! You’re acting improperly! A man needs to be responsible and single-minded,” Yue Zhengyu chimed in.

Tang Wulin felt the urge to punch Yue Zhengyu’s smug and handsome face. The guy who bought an entire drink shop just for a girl’s number is lecturing me? Who the hell are you to talk?