Chapter Seventeen ~ The Beaver's Dam

The next morning, Kiäna woke in her hammock and gazed around sleepily. Her friends were safe nearby, all awake already and seemingly just waiting in their hammocks for Kiäna to wake up.

She waved to them and began to climb out of her hammock, but Thea came over on a cloud and helped her down.

They all came down to the ground with their hammocks and Kiäna handed out apples for breakfast. She didn't imagine she would ever get tired of eating the sweet crunchy fruit. Unfortunately, the apples weren't going to last much longer. There was enough left for everyone to have one for their midday meal and another before bed. Plus one extra apple that she thought Chadwick should get to have.

Why Chadwick? Vespera asked, spying on her thoughts.

Because he's oldest! she explained with a mental tone of voice that said loud and clear that she didn't want to have her panther spy on her thoughts right now, and that she didn't like to have to explain herself.

Why are you in a bad mood today? Vespera asked her. Honestly, I'm the one who should be in a sour mood after that dangerous stunt we pulled last night. And no food this morning.

I'm sorry about all that, truly. We can wait to leave while you go hunting.

We're still too close to the giant tree. I don't want to kill a beastman's poor animal pet.

You're too kind, Vespera!

Thank you, he replied.

Chadwick finished eating quickly and then sat cross legged on the ground. He took out something from one of his pockets: a gemstone of some kind. He gathered up a bunch of stones and arranged them in a circle.

He held the stone in his hand, activated his spirit with a whoosh and then tried to do something with the gem in his hands and the stones, but it didn't do anything. The magic didn't work.

He stood up with a huff, kicked the circle of stones, and stomped off. Tajana went after him, and Kiäna and Thea watched them from a ways off as Tajana tried to make Chadwick feel better. She made smooth calm gestures while she spoke to him, and eventually, he uncrossed his arms and held his hands out while he spoke to her.

They spoke for a while longer and then finally, he nodded at her and they came back.

It was time to go, but everyone seemed so worn out. Even Kiäna felt tired from all the mist walking they'd been doing. What if there was another way for them to travel? They had tried mist walking, flying on the Chimaeras, and mist walking while riding the Chimaeras.

What else could they try?

Then it came to her. "You know what would be a wonderful idea?" Kiäna said out loud.

Oh no you don't! No more of your wonderful ideas! Vespera said.

"I think we need to turn to mist and then fly! We'd make better time! We may even get out of Ngaherahe in two more days!"

It would certainly make our food problem less of an issue. Once we make it to Fulgaria, we'll be able to find a Fulgarian village more than willing to feed us and give us food stores for the return journey too.

The children stared quizzically at Kiäna. It was time for some gestures to communicate her idea.

Kiäna stood up and pointed to Stella on Chadwick's wrist. Then she indicated with her hands that Stella should get bigger and then huge! Then she took out some lilacs from her pouch and pretended to make a circle with them. Then finally, she pointed at Stella and then with her hand, she indicated she should fly by shooting her hand up into the air.