✧ 34 ✧

The device never stopped ringing in a straight lengthy beep

Ilya's ears rang, his eyesight turned blurry, and his legs became numb and powerless. Suddenly, the room spun. The ceiling seemed to go further away and the floor became closer.

Ilya was falling. His knees bent and allowed his back to slide, no more holding the door shut.

The moaners shoved the door open, pushing Ilya's collapsed body as they entered the room.

Ilya heard all the voices but as muffled sounds under the surface of a thick dark pond. When the voices evolved into louder pitches, they felt like needles drilling and ringing in his head, amplifying this painful headache.

Ilya no longer sensed the world around him. Everything was like a dream or a soul-sucking nightmare that took away all his feelings except for endless agony.

When the muffled voices got closer, he closed his tired eyes and held his head. He could sense it coming, the next stage of his illness. If he wasn't helplessly weak before, then he was going to be.

And the zombies would eat him alive.

A grip tightened on his shoulder, followed by another painfully sharp grip.

Ilya forced his eyes to half open and noticed the hand that grabbed him. It had no skin, only bones connected with strings of muscles.

The hands pushed him to the ground and pinned him down. A large mouth appeared in front of him. A stinky moaner's mouth was about to eat his face off.

Ilya closed his eyes and waited for it to happen.

Then a sharp deafening scream mixed with the beeping of his device pierced his ears.

Ilya touched his head and winced.

A thud shook the ground after that shriek. A moment of clarity snapped Ilya's attention to the lightness of his body. There were no longer hands pinning him down and no moaner on top of him. Something, or someone, pushed that thing away from him.

His eyes scanned the spinning room, it only made him dizzier. Then he saw them.

Three moaners were fighting a faster monster. Ilya propped himself up on trembling elbows, hoping to see his savior. However, his hopes turned into terror when he saw that the other monster was of the same height and shape as the moaners.

A shrieker went berserk on its own kind to get a hold of the human boy's brain. When it ripped the moaners' limbs and left them immobilized, it snapped its head towards Ilya and screamed. Its teeth were full of black goo and dripping blood.

"Oh, shit."

Ilya tried to crawl back.

The shrieker lunged and, with frightening speed, clutched Ilya's hair. Not a moment too soon, it started pulling his head up and slamming it down on the hard floor.