✧ 33 ✧

Ilya let out a heavy sigh before crawling towards the wall next to the door

Ilya let out a heavy sigh before crawling towards the wall next to the door. He carried his broken wrist close to his chest, wincing from the pressuring pain that intensified after the adrenaline rush ended. He rested his back on the shaking wall and just sat there, waiting. It was as if he knew that there was no way out of this situation.

In just seconds, those monsters would rip him apart. In just a few seconds, he would no longer be a living human. In just a few more seconds, he'd be dead. Or worse; undead.

The monstrous shrieks and restless slams on the metal door became louder. The metal plank bent further away from the wall. Skinless arms and skeletal fingers peeked through the slight gap of that only exit of this room.

Seconds separated Ilya from meeting his gruesome death. Just a few more seconds.

And for that, Ilya stopped crying. A sense of relief washed over him.

It would be nice to finally leave this hostile town, even in death.

Ilya suddenly snorted and started laughing. An unusual time and place to laugh. He ended it with a sigh and stared up at the ceiling. Black mold and spider webs gathered in the corners. His eyes traveled down to the walls. Cracks from dried-up old paint decorated them. Then he gazed at the center of the room. Blood was splattered and gooey brain matter oozed out of that woman's head.

What a disgusting place to die in.

Ilya wondered, if he died here, would anyone find him? Would somebody give John, his stepdad, the bad news? Would John even miss him? A thousand questions ran over his mind, distracting him from the last bangs on the door.

Ilya raised a trembling hand to his head. If those shriekers didn't kill him then this horrible headache would.

Bang!

The door broke, slamming down with a startling clang.

Ilya flinched for the hundredth time since he arrived here. His heart pounded painfully in his chest. Honestly, he was surprised his heart was still beating from all the heart-stopping horrors he had encountered.

Then came a new dreadful kind of horror.

Ten to twenty shriekers fell inside, piling one over the other, climbing their way into the room.

Ilya pulled his legs to his torso, hiding his face. The excessive screaming drilled into his head, amplifying the headache. A chilly sensation cruised through his veins, numbing his muscles and taking away what was left of his strength.

Ilya gave up on fighting. As he told Beast many times, What's the point?

The shriekers entered the room.

Ilya braced himself for the first bite of his flesh... but it never happened.

Ilya heard the sounds of munching and biting, but he didn't feel any pain. His body was never touched. Still intact in one piece.