Chapter 7

Ander knew she was nearby. He couldn't tell how exactly, but he just knew it. He could feel it. Something that he first realized that morning but decided to brush it off as nothing. 

It was stronger now than it was this morning. He eyed the box on his desk that was waiting for him when he escaped in a rush to avoid spending more time with her. It reeked of humans because that was where it came from. Post via the closest human city, with strict instructions for the new Alpha Female to open it but only in the presence of Alpha Hunters. 

He could only suspect that it was from one of the parents or the Betas, an early mating gift. No one else knew about their arrangement and it was too early to be from one of the pack members because it arrived a few minutes before their briefing started. But why go through the trouble of sending it via human post? At least we can get this out of the way quickly if she's here.

His heartbeat picked up pace at the thought of her visiting him. Goddess, I'm a loser. And I've been nothing but awful to her. He couldn't explain his own behavior. Her scent drove him mad. He wanted to do things to her. He wanted to dominate her until she fought back and then he wanted to worship every inch of her. It was more than just attraction. And it freaked him out because he had felt attraction and need before and this wasn't it. But he needed to talk to her first. Have a real conversation. But before that, this mystery gift had to be dealt with.

A full five minutes after he first sensed her his brother knocked twice then opened the door saying, "Special delivery." And shoving her inside before bolting. She looked uncertain for a split second and for the first time since they met yesterday, he got a small whiff of nervousness before she composed herself, adopted a bland expression, and walked forward to take the seat on the opposite side of his table. He watched her intently the entire time. That's the spitfire he knew. Then the scent on her registered. She opened her mouth to speak but he interrupted her before he could stop himself, "You smell like Luke." He stated. She scowled. Goddess, this wasn't how he meant to start the conversation. He had no control over himself whenever he was around her.

"OK, firstly, I came here to talk about us," his heart jumped at us but he was hoping she was too far gone in her anger to hear it, "Not Lucky, so if you want to talk about him you can call him up here and I'll go home," his heart jumped again at her calling his house home, "And secondly, I'm not the problem your brother is, so if you want to growl and shout at me, I'm gone, you and I need to have this conversation and we need to have it now, thirdly, you don't get to tell me who to touch and hang out with." She declared and he decided to ignore that last part because if he didn't he was definitely going to start growling.

He gave her a peace offering instead, because he, of all people, knew what an ass Luke could be, so he said, "I know a few good places to hide a body," but she obviously wasn't expecting him to say anything civil let alone make a joke so she froze and asked, "Sorry?" 

"Twenty years is a long time to put up with that much nuisance," He returned in all seriousness. That was when she understood his meaning, the guarded expression fell from her face and she giggled before she caught herself and stopped but he was still rewarded with her beautiful smile. He'd have to make it a point to make her laugh and smile more often. "I'm sorry, was that a joke?" She teased, "Didn't think you knew what those were."

"Very funny Aubrie," he returned drily and smirked.

 "OK but back to the point, we need to talk." And just like that, the moment they had was shattered. 

"Yes we do but first you have to do something." He said, "And what is that?" She asked exasperatedly.

"This came for you with strict instructions to open in my presence," He gestured to the box. "Open it and then we'll talk."