7.

Time seemed to pass slower when on bed rest. I didn't actually need this much resting time but if it meant I got a chance at avoiding Ghost, then I accept it.

I fidgeted with my hands until I sighed in boredom, grabbing the remote to turn the old crappy tv on in the lounge room. There wasn't much to watch aside from some corny soap operas and the news so I opted for that.

"The search for the terrorist suspected of putting a target on Chicago is still ongoing. The FBI answered, in an interview, that the case was no longer in their hands. Civilians were enraged with the answer, fearing the city might be bombed at any minute"

The woman spoke as if she was a robot whilst periodically glancing down at her papers on the desk. I turned the volume up, suddenly being interested in the public opinion of our work

"We'll pass the line onto our journalist. Robert, hello."

"Hello, Christie. We are currently in front of one of the many military bases in which the search for a man under the name of Hassan has been taken over by the special forces unit. We have asked for more informations on the progress but all our questions have been shut down"

"What the... nosy bastards. Mind your own business and let us do the job. Tsk."

I mumbled to myself, crossing my arms on my chest. I was so focused on what the news had to say about our progress in capturing Hassan that I didn't notice the other person standing behind the couch I was on

"What you watching?"

Price asked, opening the fridge in the kitchenette to grab a beer can.

"The news. They have a whole lot to say about the missing missiles. How the word got out is something I can't even imagine"

"Spies. I'm old enough to have seen it before"

I turned to look over my shoulder, watching him drink from his can. His back was turned to me but I could see the dim light of a cigarette illuminating his features

"A spy? But you personally select who to put in this team. I'm sure it was just someone talking too loudly"

"Maybe."

His demeanor was suspicious. The way he didn't make eye contact, the fact he kept his back turned to me. Was he already suspecting of someone? He didn't have any clue of who it could be, so then why was he acting this way?

"Well then. I'm off to bed. G'night Captain"

I got up from the couch, setting the remote down onto the tiny coffee table in front of me.

I walked slowly, trying to have a glimpse at his face but he turned away and I did the same. I managed to get to the heavy double doors of the lounge room when I heard it. Such a familiar sound that it almost felt too familiar.

*Click.*

I froze in place, hands on either one of the metal doors in front of me.

It Couldn't be.

Yes it could.

I was met face to face with the barrel of a gun, pointed straight to my head. The owner of said gun was my own captain. A man I had learned to trust yet whom was now threatening me

"What ar-"

"I picked you out of all your comrades in basic training because you stood out from the crowd. That's what I like about my recruits. Originality. Strength. Skill."

"Price no. You don't know what you're doing"

"But I've noticed something strange. In your profile folder. I got suspicious, can't help an old man's curiosity."

"Curiosity killed the cat, Price. You're making a mistake"

My hands trembled on either side of my body, his eyes fixed onto mine. He couldn't really think I was the spy. I had done nothing but my job. I have made it clear I take pride in what I do. Why would he doubt me? Why would he be suspicious of me?

"It did indeed. Turns out you're a mercenary. An exemplar facade you put up, I have to admit."

"A what? You got it all completely wrong, Captain. Put the gun down.."

"I don't follow orders given by a mercenary sniper."

My blood ran cold. He really thought I was the spy. A mercenary. I've never worked for anyone other than the government itself. I've never let money influence my judgment, how could he be so stoic.

"If I was a mercenary, do you think I would work for you? Do you think I would've kept myself so open and friendly? Do you think I would've trusted you?"

"Don't lie to my face. I've made a few phone calls. Nobody knows of a recruit by the name of Katarina. It sounds quite strange doesn't it?"

I narrowed my brows ever so slightly at his accusation, looking at him through the lenses of my glasses

"I am not who you're trying to insinuate I am. Captain, I've worked with you for 8 months. Have I ever disappointed you? Have I ever lacked anything?"

"You haven't. That's what made me weary of you. You're too perfect to be a recruit. Too skilled, too experienced"

"I was deployed several times before joining this task force, Price."

"So many times that you'd be on the same level as a specialist?"

"Yes. I have worked my ass off to come this far. What you're saying is hurtful and disrespectful."

He scoffed and lowered the gun. I let out a shaky breath I didn't know I was holding. His insinuations cut deep, and made me overthink about all the missions we've done together. Was he suspecting me all along? Had I let out personal information that was misinterpreted? Was he just drunk? There were too many questions and very few answers.

Price raised his gun again whilst my mind was clouded with thoughts and I only realized his finger placement a bit too late

"No!"

*Click.*

What..? Malfunction? No, all guns on base worked perfectly. Was it jammed? It's a pistol, it happens rarely. Price you sly old fox...

"Empty barrel trick huh."

The man in front of me laughed and pulled the empty mag out, showing me there was no bullet inside. The gun didn't shoot because it had nothing to shoot.

"April fools, Kat. Should see the sweat on your face, you look as if you ran for 10 miles"

"Oh for the love of god..."

I rested my hands on my knees, calming my breathing down. This old bastard really made a fool of me.

"Sorry, love. Had to do it. You gave me the chance on a silver platter"

"Fuck off! You scared the shit out of me!"