Chapter 20

A/N: Thanks to all my wonderful fans who have continued to read my book and vote and comment on it! :) I love hearing from you guys and I hope you continue to enjoy the book! Special thanks to @mialuvsfantasy for always reading every chapter! You guys are the best and keep me writing! Enjoy!

I came back to the present when my lungs began to feel like they were going to explode. I felt the water bubbling around me, which was my first indication that something was not right. Then when I opened my eyes, ignoring the sting of the water, and saw the merman in front of me I realized what had happened.

I slowly brought my hands to his chest and then shoved off of him as hard as I could. The bubbles seemed to follow me, and someone my deoxygenated brain triggered a memory. Blackbeard could breathe under water; so could I.

I prayed Adonis had been right when telling me that I shared the same powers his father had, it was the only hope I had of escaping the situation as the merman was much quicker than I was. His powerful tail could flick once and catch up to me.

I felt his arms go around my waist and I began to see blackness. I had to try breathing, I needed to believe. Before I knew it would be too late, I took in a mouthful of water and began to cough as much as I could considering the amount of oxygen I needed.

The bubbles seemed to become more urgent around me, bumping into my skin as if trying to get my attention. One last idea blinked into my mind. I reached out and grabbed the bubbles, then shoved them into my mouth.

At first there was nothing and I mentally said good bye to Adonis; the only person who was in my mind. The only person whom I regretted not saying something too.

Suddenly my lungs sucked in all the air they could and the blackness that had almost completely surrounded me, faded. I reached out for more bubbles and shoved them into my mouth.

I had solved one problem, but my head began to pound as we sunk lower and lower into the sea. There was no way my small arms could defeat his muscular ones that held a firm grip around my waist.

My legs moved back and forth, but my movements were slowed by the water and the merman's were lightning fast as if the water made him stronger and quicker.

All hope that had been gained from breathing again disappeared as the pounding in my head grew stronger with each passing second. If I went much slower, the pressure would crush me and I would die.

There was one thing I could do, but I wasn't confident in any of my powers yet. Not that much of a choice presented itself to me. I decided to hope for the best and closed my eyes once more, imagining the water coming to me; obeying me.

I pictured the churning waters coming towards me, and stopping around me. I imagined it revolving in a large circle, making a whirlpool around me.

I snapped my eyes open, but nothing had changed. Panic ran through me and all my clear thoughts disappeared replaced by the need to escape.

Stop, my mind screamed at me.

How are you still alive? Another voice entered into my mind and I felt my body convulse as the sudden appearance of the sound scared me.

I looked around, but no one was speaking. The only one there was the merman. My thoughts all trailed off; a merman who I could speak with.

Please let me go, I never did anything to you. I pleaded.

I can't, we admire you, but you will cause too many of my people to die. His low raspy voice was easing the pain in my head, and I began to relax again.