Chapter 14

Adonis walked over to me, mirroring my smile, his eyes focused on the sword in my grasp.

"Can I see it?" I nodded. "I made this sword a few months ago, actually. It is a beauty isn't it?" He swung it a few times and then handed it back to me, obviously proud of his workmanship.

"I see you're wearing your weapons belt. I'll just grab the appropriate sheath for the blade so you don't accidentally cut anyone, and then I'll show you how to attach it to your belt." He rummaged through a massive chest that was full of covers, tossing a few to the side before finally grabbing the right one and bringing it to me.

I handed him my sword and he pushed it into the scabbard. Hooking it onto my belt was surprisingly easy. He then handed me a pistol, claiming they were all identical.

We trained until an hour before sunset, during which I was shown how to fire and aim the pistol, and the basic moves that would enable me to defend myself against a basic swordsman.

"We need to go now," Adonis said, wiping sweat away. "I need to prepare for the funeral, and you could use a break." I nodded as I wiped my hand across my forehead. When I pulled it away it was damp with sweat and I sighed, knowing my life would not be nearly as hygienic as before.

"Thanks for taking the time to train me, I know I suck, but you have a lot of patience with me," I said to Adonis as we walked out the door.

"No problem, just trying to help out. Don't get too down though about your skills, you'll get a lot better, and I've seen plenty worse. It was fun just doing some good old sword fighting, nothing better to get your mind off of everything else." I didn't even have to ask what everything else was. I already knew that the stress of running a ship, but doing it exactly how Blackbeard wanted was getting to Adonis, and on top of that he was short by about twenty five men, making his workload even more.

"When is our next training day?" I asked, excited again to learn to fight.

"It'll have to be after Tortuga. We arrive tomorrow, and I won't have time in the morning. It's a lot of work to dock a ship the size of The Queen Anne's Revenge. We'll need every hand working. We'll probably be in Tortuga for two to three days so it'll be some time." I felt my smile slowly turn into a frown and I could feel my entire stance slowly begin to droop like a wilting flower, thirsting for water. Instead, I was thirsting for a sword fight.

Adonis slipped his hand into mine and squeezed. I smiled again, and returned the squeeze.

"I'll just practice the moves on my own time then. I'll just make sure I know the stances so I'll be ready when we start again, plus I want my muscles to strengthen a bit before I put another few hours straight into sword fighting." I could already feel the muscles in my arms and back beginning to ache.

"Good, you'll soon get stronger and you'll be able to fight for much longer periods of time." We turned another corner and I recognized my room, that is the one with where Blayde had hidden and Onix had...passed on.

"You didn't have to walk me."

"No, but I like talking to you so I wanted to anyways." He turned and pulled me into a hug, which I quickly returned.

"Thanks again," I whispered. The moment seemed so calm that I didn't want to break the atmosphere by speaking too loudly.

"No problem, it was my pleasure," he whispered back. He then slowly pulled back, but just enough so he could see into my eyes. "Emerald, would you give me the pleasure of your company for dinner tonight? I doubt after the funeral the crew will eat together and I would love to have a dinner with you, alone."