xix.

"DO YOU THINK that I can get an ice cream cone when we get there, Dean?" Daphne askes, her mahogany eyes, big with curiosity as she waits for my answer

"Yes, Daph, you can," I said while smoothing down her hair, and patting her head. She smiles and continues to sway from left to right as she sings the song, 'Under the Sea' from The Little Mermaid, her new favorite Disney movie from last weeks Tangled.

The streets of Manhattan have never been busier, with men and women alike making their way through the crowd of people trying to get to a certain destination. And the funny thing is, it's still not as busy as usual.

Taking a hold of Daphne's hand, I grip on to it tightly, not wanting her to get lost in the swarm of self-absorbed individuals.

"Is that the cafe, Dean?" Daphne points at a big blue sign that says, Macy's Cafe and Bakery.

"Yes, Daph, it is. Do you want to go inside?"

"Yes, please," she giggles trying to wiggle her hand out of my grip, but I only latch on tighter, "Calm down, sweet pea, we'll be there in a minute, just be patient."

"But we're so slow," she says exasperated, still trying to run away from me but eventually giving up when she realises that I wasn't going to let go.

Making our way to the cafe, I opened the door for Daphne to enter first, and when I do, the immediate smell of fresh baked pastries and coffee beans fill the air.

The restaurant is filled to the brim with hungry people, chowing down on one desert or the other. The expressions on their faces show how satisfied they are with their little Sunday snacks.

Looking down at Daphne, she looks like a ticking time bomb, just a few minutes away from exploding with an absolutely chaotic energy. Which only seems to appear when she is faced with an extraordinary amount of sugar or has eaten said sugar.

"Dean! Can we get the ice cream now? Please?" she looks at me pleadingly, wanting to go over to the long awaiting line where others stand to receive or give out their orders.

"Not yet, sweet pea, I'm looking for someone and when I do, I promise we'll go straight over to the counter and buy you your ice cream," I kneel in front of her, bringing myself closer to her height as I ensure her that I will keep my promise.

"Okay," she looks downcast but hopeful, wanting to believe what I said.

Getting back up on my feet, my entire body freezes when I catch a glimpse of the familiar blonde hair and striking green eyes. She's sitting next to the window, reading a book, while taking a sip of coffee out of her cup.

I can't seem to take my eyes off of her, my entire being seems to be lost in time as I stand there, not focusing on the world around me until, Daphne brings me back to the realm of the living by tapping my leg continuously, while repeating my name, in order to capture my attention, " . . . Dean . . . Dean . . . Dean," she continues.