xvii.

"I SHOULD'VE KNOWN that it was you, what do you want?" every single word that left my mouth laced with pure irritation, settling down at the corner of the small American based-Italian restaurant was the second-to-last person I would like to see to...

"I SHOULD'VE KNOWN that it was you, what do you want?" every single word that left my mouth laced with pure irritation, settling down at the corner of the small American based-Italian restaurant was the second-to-last person I would like to see today; she was formally the last person, but Dean has found a way to occupy that position; at least for a while. I take a seat at the table and stare directly into her deep amber eyes that glare right back at me.

"Your late."

"I didn't know you were counting the minutes," I said after picking up the menu and flipping through it.

"I wasn't. That was until you decided not to show up after thirty minutes of waiting," he pats the heels of his shoe on the ground repeatedly in an impatient manner.

"Sad, isn't. Are you ready to order, because I'm famished?" I drop the menu onto the table and raise my hand to call over the passing waiter. 

"You called, sir?" the waiter comes over with his notepad and pen in hand. "Yes, I did. I would like one margherita pizza, and on the side can I have the crispy pancetta sandwich?"

"Yes, you can, sir," the waiter jotted down my order before speaking again. "And for the pizza, would it be for the both of you or just you?"

"Just me."

"Small or medium?"

"Small," looking over at my host he asked, "and for you madam, what would you like?" 

"I would like the fettuccine alfredo with shrimp and cheesy garlic bread on the side," she said after glancing at the menu for a few seconds and dropping it down. 

"Okay. And for drinks, what would you two kind gentlemen like?" 

"I'll have a soda and he'll have an Oreo milkshake," she speaks up before me and answers for the both of us.

After the waiter left to go get our food, I spoke up, "I didn't ask you to speak for me. I am perfectly capable of ordering my own drink."

"But you didn't complain about what I got for you, did you?"

I sighed, "No, I didn't."

"Why did you call me here?" I asked after a beat of silence.

"Hmm?" 

"Why did you call me here?" I repeated.

"Why the rush? We have all night to talk," he leaned forward on the table, beating his left hand on it like a drum, while smirking maliciously. "Knox," he continued, "you and I, we go way back. We have history. I knew you before that fool of a Dean proclaimed you as his first friend—sorry 'best friend'," she raised her hand to air quote on the best friend part.

"I know things about you; secrets, some might call it. That will ruin you and your family. . ." she pauses when the waiter comes in to deliver our drinks, "forever," she continued after taking a sip of her soda.