VI. Sols 36-48

SOL 36

"The problem is water..." Mark trailed.

Darcie nodded. "Tell me. How are we supposed to find water on a red, sandy planet?"

INT./EXT - ROVER - DAY

Mark and Darcie trudged out to the Mars Descent Vehicle (MDV) -- the lander that brought the seven of them to Mars. He and Darcie delicately began to remove the Hydrazine tank from the undercarriage.

---

Mark said into the camera, "Darcie and I've created one-hundred and twenty-six square meters of soil. But each cubic meter needs forty liters of water to be farmable. So, we gotta make a lot of water. Fortunately, I know the recipe. Take hydrogen. Add oxygen. Burn. Unfortunately... burn. We have hundreds of liters of unused Hydrazine from the MDV. If we run the Hydrazine over an iridium catalyst, it'll separate into N2 and H2..."

Darcie shook her head slowly. "I love math and science. But Chris, I seriously need you."

INT. HAB - DAY

Mark and Darcie duct taped torn trash-bags to create a tent, which they used to cover their work table.

Mark tore an air hose from one of the space suits, taped it to the tent and hung it from the roof. Now they had a chimney.

He vented pure oxygen from a tank, lights it with a spark from battery wires. There was a whoosh. He pointsd the flame at the wood shavings and had a small torch.

Mark held the torch and started the Hydrazine flow. The Hydrazine sizzled on the iridium and disappeared.

Mark and Darcie looked up to the chimney. Flame bursts started sputtering out from the hose. Mark and Darcie grinned, glad it was working.

Mark checked his instruments. He and Darcie checked the temperature carefully. Mark repeated the process.

Mark and Darcie were wearing the protective inner lining of their EVA suits along with goggles. An oxygen mask hung around their necks.

INT. HAB - DAY

Mark spoke directly to the camera while Darcie sat next to him. The two were standing in the middle of what looked like a mad-scientist's chemistry experiment.

Mark said, "Then I just need to direct the hydrogen into a small area and burn it. Luckily, in the history of humanity, nothing bad has ever happened from lighting hydrogen on fire."

Mark and Darcie shared a nervous look before he continued. "Believe it or not, the challenge has been finding something that will hold a flame. NASA hates fire. Because of the whole "fire makes everyone die in space" thing. So everything we brought with us is flame retardant. With the notable exception of... Martinez's personal items."

He held up Martinez's pack and removed a small wooden cross. "Sorry, Martinez. If you didn't want me to go through your stuff, you shouldn't have left me and Darcie for dead on a desolate planet." He started shaving the cross down with a knife. "Darcie and I figure God won't mind, considering the situation. Right, Darcie?"

Darcie nodded. "He's pretty forgiving."

INT. HAB - DAY

Mark and Darcie were still working on getting water. They looked exhausted. He went through the procedure once again. He glanced at the atmospheric analyzer.

"Hm," Mark hummed. "Is that right? Doesn't give it a second thought."

Mark struck the torch again and a loud boom sounded.

The explosion was loud, fast, and contained. It blasted Mark and Darcie clear across the room. They hit the ground like a wet rag.

INT. HAB - DAY

Mark and Darcie spoke to camera. Their clothes were somewhat scorched. Their hair was singed in patches.

"So," Mark began. "Yes. Darcie and I blew ourselves up. Best guess? We forgot to account for the excess oxygen we've been exhaling when we did my calculations. Because I'm stupid. Chris, I wouldn't insult your wife."

They were still dazed and a little out of it.

Darcie chuckled softly. "Chris, you want a divorce? I hope not."

Mark smiled lightly before saying, "Interesting side note: this is how Jet Propulsion Laboratory was founded. Five guys at Cal Tech were trying to make rocket fuel and nearly burned down their dorm. Rather than expel them, Professor... Von Karman? I want to say... banished them to a nearby farm in Pasadena and told them to keep working. And now we have a space program. See? I pay attention. Darcie and I are gonna get back to work. As soon as our ears stop ringing."

Darcie nodded and held up a finger. "Remember to calculate your breaths when trying to make water in a contained space. Otherwise explosion."

The two sat there for a while.

INT. HAB - DAY

Mark and Darcie were back at it. He checked his math, adjusted the O2 levels. He and Darcie glanced at camera, then crossed their fingers. They winced as Mark fired up the torch.

The two didn't blow up and shared a relieved look. Mark started venting the Hydrazine.

LATER

Mark and Darcie stepped back from the table. He wiped the sweat from his brow and she rubbed her hands on her suit. They looked at their hands to see sweat. They walked over to the walls and saw the condensation. There was water everywhere.

Mark and Darcie traced them with their fingers.

It was as though they'd created a rainforest in their Hab.

The two walked to the water reclaimer.

Mark took the lid off the tank.

It was filled with water. Mark and Darcie grinned and hugged each other.

SOL 48

INT. HAB - DAY/NIGHT

The surfaces were covered with soil, the living space was cramped, and there was what looked mad-scientist experiment.

Mark and Darcie worked at the table.

He vented the Hydrazine -- checked his readouts -- the two collected water from the reclaimer -- spread the water over his soil -- ate lunch -- went back to work. They repeated the process over and over.

---

Mark and Darcie slept -- put on their spacesuits -- exited the Hab -- brought in more dirt -- Mark and Darcie vented Hydrazine -- they ate -- they slept.

Mark and Darcie worked, they ate, they slept, they worked.

There was a small patch of soil in the corner.

A single, green sprout broke through the soil.

Darcie walked past the sprout and stopped. Her eyes widened and she ran to find her friend.

She nearly bumped into him and said, "We did it!"

"Did what?" He quickly realized what she was talking about. "We did it?"

"We did it! I can't believe we did it!"